Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-sewing-machines-t33421.html)

sunkistmi 01-07-2010 08:21 PM

I just got a Pfaff Creative Vision in September for my 35th wedding anniversary and love it! I wanted one that would do the embroidery since my Janome didn't. I had used the CV in classes I took with Betty Cotton and loved the way it sewed. I know you said you did not want any embroidery but I would get the most machine I could afford. I have wished for a long time that I had the option on the Janome. Best of luck.
Wendy

daria 01-08-2010 08:22 AM

what does IDT stand for?

daria 01-08-2010 08:23 AM

what does IDT stand for?

Sandra-P 01-08-2010 09:20 AM

I love my Pfaff. It is a Quilt Expression 2044. I recieved it from my husband a few years ago as a birthday present.

Lots2do, The IDT stands for Integrated Dual Feed. The fabric is fed from top and bottom at the same time so it is very precise. It keeps all the layers when quilting aligned.

MadQuilter 01-08-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by daria
what does IDT stand for?

Integrated Dual Transfer (at least I'm pretty sure T stands for transfer)

The walking foot is built in and it carries the top fabric and the bottom fabric at the same speed so there is no (or very little) distortion. Makes it easy to match seams and patterns.

dlf0122quilting 01-08-2010 01:53 PM

Thank you again. I was not sure what the T stood for. You would think they would have used IDF but then, I guess they had their reasons.

Geta 01-08-2010 02:29 PM

I have a Pfaff Select with IDT and I love it. It doesn't have too many decorative stitches, but I don't need them !
It is my first sewing machine and the only machine I use for piecing and IDT is wonderful for this.
Of course, it is wonderful for free motion quilting, too!

littlehud 01-08-2010 08:00 PM

I love my Pfaff. It's an embroidery and regular sewing machine. I can't believe the difference. It sews so much nicer than my old machine.

debbiemarie 09-28-2013 06:03 PM

Does the Pfaff have it's version of the BSR to regulate stiches in FMQ

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac (Post 708050)
It stands for integrated dual feed (I don't know where they get the "T" from).

If you have ever heard of a walking foot attachment, it's the same idea, but it's permanently fixed to the machine, although you can disengage it if you need to. It feeds the two layers of fabric evenly whereas without it, the feed dogs feed the fabric through faster than the top layer feeds through (or is it the other way around?).

I have the Margaret Islander sewing tapes and she demonstrates by sewing together two pieces of fabric, each 45" long. She begins with them even at the top, sews a regular seam, and when she gets to the bottom of the strip, the bottom piece extends by about an inch beyond the top piece. She then demonstrates it again, this time holding the strips up at an angle so that the bottom piece isn't being pushed along by the feed dogs, and at the end they are even! (i.e. she "eases" them in togethe)r.

Still, you can't do this with a couple of 2" squares you are trying to sew together.

I had a machine before the Pfaff for which I purchased a "walking foot" but it didn't work nearly as well and it was also very noisy!

I love my IDT!

Does the Pfaff have a version of the BSR to regulate stitches when FMQ?

JustAbitCrazy 09-29-2013 01:11 AM

I have a Pfaff Tiptronic 2040 with IDT and love it. I used to have an earlier Pfaff Tiptronic, but a friend took it when I bought my Babylock Serenade (which also has upper feed dogs). I wanted the knee lift for the presser foot (both hands free, yay!) and thread cutter of the Serenade, so now my Pfaff Tiptronic is my backup machine. You can't beat having upper and lower feed dogs. I don't ever plan to sew with only lower feed dogs again, if I can help it. Not all Pfaff machines have upper feed dogs---some of the really early machines don't have them, and I don't think the "Hobby" has them, so be aware of that when shopping for a used machine.