Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Photographing quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/photographing-quilts-t306296.html)

cashs_mom 08-13-2019 03:49 PM

I don't have a phone with a camera and I don't like the quality of the pics from my tablet so I used my Nikon DSL. The quality is always great with it.

meyert 08-13-2019 03:56 PM

I use my phone... on a couch. But its really nice if I can get my niece and nephew to hold them up on the porches

Jordan 08-13-2019 04:58 PM

I use my camera and have my grandchildren stand on the fire place and hold the quilts. If the quilt is too big I just lay it on my living room floor and I stand on a chair so I can get a good angle.

WMUTeach 08-14-2019 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a set of three clip hangers that I keep in my quilt room. I use these across the top of my quilt then take it outside to my little patio. I hang the quilt over the window of my slider window/door to the patio. I like the natural light and the flat surface makes a good "wall" for the quilt. Here is a photo where you can see my "method". I use both my phone camera feature and a regular camera. Both have different advantages. From time to time, such as in the winter, I will do the same process but hook the hangers over the trim of my double closet door. (Hook them on the trim.) I also have a set of concrete steps that make a good location for photos of smaller quilts. On occasion I will shoot photos with my quilts on a grassy hill, but that is always dicey because of dampness and possible soiling of the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616047[/ATTACH]

AZ Jane 08-14-2019 06:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We have a trailer with a back gate I use. I also try to take pictures in the early morning while the sun is softer.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616050[/ATTACH]
After sizing and trimming in Paint.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616051[/ATTACH]

ILoveToQuilt 08-14-2019 10:31 AM

I use a digital camera because I don't have a smart phone. I will either put the quilt down on my queen bed and stand on a step ladder and shoot from above. The other way I do it (if the quilt is small enough) is that I pin the quilt to a blank wall (hallway) and shoot it directly on. Decent photos - not professional grade, but then again neither are my quilts! LOL

klswift 08-15-2019 07:19 AM

Any photos are better in natural light. If you can put a large chair by a window and take a draped shot, that is your main shot. For detail, you can then lay it out on the floor and get a full shot. Then fold over a corner so you can get the back (if plain). If you have done extra work to the back or your quilting shows better, be sure and get a full back shot. For you last shot, go close for a block, a quilting pattern or something else that is special for the quilt. These 4 shots should be done for each quilt. When I load them into the file, I then include a notation with date, any special techniques or fabrics, approximately what the materials cost, how long it took (roughly) and if sold - how much, if gifted - to whom. This may seem like a bit of work, but it only takes a few minutes and I can guarantee you won't remember these details later.

RuthiesRetreat3 08-15-2019 10:15 AM

Use hangers. The metal ones that you can twist the hook to hang over a curtain rod, and clothes pins to pin the quilt to the hanger. Use several to support the width. I got free hangers from Academy that are plastic but have the clips to hold pants, etc. and a swivel hanger hook.

Fabric Galore 08-15-2019 10:52 AM

I love the idea about using hangers with clips to hold a quilt for photos and also draping the quilt over a sofa or loveseat. Thanks for the inspirations.