Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Picking out your fabrics (Post your tips and tricks for all of us to enjoy!) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/picking-out-your-fabrics-post-your-tips-tricks-all-us-enjoy-t66064.html)

craftybear 09-21-2010 04:01 PM

Picking out your fabrics to make a quilt, please post your tips and tricks here for all of us to enjoy, thanks

sewmuchmore 09-21-2010 04:11 PM

You are not going to believe what I do. I have 2 1/2 inch strips handing all over my room and I do what I call a go and grab. Sew make my blocks and grab more. :? works for me :lol: :lol:

JCquilts 09-21-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
You are not going to believe what I do. I have 2 1/2 inch strips handing all over my room and I do what I call a go and grab. Sew make my blocks and grab more. :? works for me :lol: :lol:

I love this idea.. I have a hard time doing scrappy quilts.. this just might work,

its kind of like having them in a paper bag, you reach in blind and use what ever you grab..

craftybear 09-21-2010 04:46 PM

that is a good idea for a scrappy quilt

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore

amma 09-21-2010 05:27 PM

Pick out a pretty focal fabric, then choose fabrics that match it. You don't necessarily need the focal then, but you will know that the rest will all go together :D:D:D

Lady Shivesa 09-21-2010 05:35 PM

I find one fabric I adore which is just perfect, and then I just need to find ones to match. :)

sharon b 09-21-2010 05:42 PM

Go to the store and buy it :wink:

Could be why I have such a stash ! :lol:

I just buy what I like , what is pretty or just because :thumbup:

wolfkitty 09-21-2010 05:48 PM

I look around the store, and when something catches my eye, I pick it up and try to find other fabrics to go with it. Sometimes, if I really like something, I'll get it and look for others later that will work with it. Also how I got a stash.

candi 09-21-2010 06:09 PM

I would rate picking out fabrics/colors for my projects as the favorite part of quilting. Yes, I love it!
I normally have a color or a theme that I want for a certain quilt/pattern. Sometimes, I have to go to more than one shop, check online or whatever to find THE fabric that best goes for the specific project. Once I've decided on my focus fabric, I take the whole yardage, yes, not a swatch, the whole thing to the quilt shop and lay it on their table, then start hording bolts that I think will match my focus fabric. At the table (or sometimes the floor), I l unfold enough of the bolts to overlap my focus fabric, I arrange them all so the fold is facing me but enough of the fabric is showing, and I stand back. This is the easiest way for me to decide on what matches, what stands out and what blends. Again, depending on what I want from the quilt, I pick the fabrics accordingly.

If I have fabrics I am using or think I am using from my stash, I take them along too. Always have to look at the big picture and I am constantly amazed at how well colors, that I wouldn't think would match, work well together.

DianD 09-21-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by candi
I would rate picking out fabrics/colors for my projects as the favorite part of quilting. Yes, I love it!
I normally have a color or a theme that I want for a certain quilt/pattern. Sometimes, I have to go to more than one shop, check online or whatever to find THE fabric that best goes for the specific project. Once I've decided on my focus fabric, I take the whole yardage, yes, not a swatch, the whole thing to the quilt shop and lay it on their table, then start hording bolts that I think will match my focus fabric. At the table (or sometimes the floor), I l unfold enough of the bolts to overlap my focus fabric, I arrange them all so the fold is facing me but enough of the fabric is showing, and I stand back. This is the easiest way for me to decide on what matches, what stands out and what blends. Again, depending on what I want from the quilt, I pick the fabrics accordingly.

If I have fabrics I am using or think I am using from my stash, I take them along too. Always have to look at the big picture and I am constantly amazed at how well colors, that I wouldn't think would match, work well together.

I do this, too! However, I add one more step...I will put my choices together, then turn my back and walk away. Few minutes later, I come back with fresh eyes...this "new look" shows me what needs to stay and what needs to go. Works every time!