Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Picking out your fabrics (Post your tips and tricks for all of us to enjoy!) >

Picking out your fabrics (Post your tips and tricks for all of us to enjoy!)

Picking out your fabrics (Post your tips and tricks for all of us to enjoy!)

Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Google Goddess

Picking out your fabrics to make a quilt, please post your tips and tricks here for all of us to enjoy, thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM

You are not going to believe what I do. I have 2 1/2 inch strips handing all over my room and I do what I call a go and grab. Sew make my blocks and grab more. :? works for me :lol: :lol:
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
You are not going to believe what I do. I have 2 1/2 inch strips handing all over my room and I do what I call a go and grab. Sew make my blocks and grab more. :? works for me :lol: :lol:
I love this idea.. I have a hard time doing scrappy quilts.. this just might work,

its kind of like having them in a paper bag, you reach in blind and use what ever you grab..
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Google Goddess

that is a good idea for a scrappy quilt

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Pick out a pretty focal fabric, then choose fabrics that match it. You don't necessarily need the focal then, but you will know that the rest will all go together :D:D:D
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I find one fabric I adore which is just perfect, and then I just need to find ones to match. :)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Go to the store and buy it :wink:

Could be why I have such a stash ! :lol:

I just buy what I like , what is pretty or just because :thumbup:
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM

I look around the store, and when something catches my eye, I pick it up and try to find other fabrics to go with it. Sometimes, if I really like something, I'll get it and look for others later that will work with it. Also how I got a stash.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 PM

I would rate picking out fabrics/colors for my projects as the favorite part of quilting. Yes, I love it!
I normally have a color or a theme that I want for a certain quilt/pattern. Sometimes, I have to go to more than one shop, check online or whatever to find THE fabric that best goes for the specific project. Once I've decided on my focus fabric, I take the whole yardage, yes, not a swatch, the whole thing to the quilt shop and lay it on their table, then start hording bolts that I think will match my focus fabric. At the table (or sometimes the floor), I l unfold enough of the bolts to overlap my focus fabric, I arrange them all so the fold is facing me but enough of the fabric is showing, and I stand back. This is the easiest way for me to decide on what matches, what stands out and what blends. Again, depending on what I want from the quilt, I pick the fabrics accordingly.

If I have fabrics I am using or think I am using from my stash, I take them along too. Always have to look at the big picture and I am constantly amazed at how well colors, that I wouldn't think would match, work well together.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by candi
I would rate picking out fabrics/colors for my projects as the favorite part of quilting. Yes, I love it!
I normally have a color or a theme that I want for a certain quilt/pattern. Sometimes, I have to go to more than one shop, check online or whatever to find THE fabric that best goes for the specific project. Once I've decided on my focus fabric, I take the whole yardage, yes, not a swatch, the whole thing to the quilt shop and lay it on their table, then start hording bolts that I think will match my focus fabric. At the table (or sometimes the floor), I l unfold enough of the bolts to overlap my focus fabric, I arrange them all so the fold is facing me but enough of the fabric is showing, and I stand back. This is the easiest way for me to decide on what matches, what stands out and what blends. Again, depending on what I want from the quilt, I pick the fabrics accordingly.

If I have fabrics I am using or think I am using from my stash, I take them along too. Always have to look at the big picture and I am constantly amazed at how well colors, that I wouldn't think would match, work well together.
I do this, too! However, I add one more step...I will put my choices together, then turn my back and walk away. Few minutes later, I come back with fresh eyes...this "new look" shows me what needs to stay and what needs to go. Works every time!