Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pieced not quilted table runners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pieced-not-quilted-table-runners-t272751.html)

Skhf 11-28-2015 10:16 AM

Pieced not quilted table runners

I have noticed at craft shows in my area that table runners and pot holders are pieced but are not quilted. Many table runners do not have any batting used at all. Is this common or just in my neck of the woods? I know I could make them much quicker if quilting were not involved.

Tartan 11-28-2015 10:41 AM

Some people do not put batting in so quilting isn't necessary. The problem with that is unless your top stitch the edge, after washing they won't look very good. I guess they figure the person buying them can iron them?

PaperPrincess 11-28-2015 10:57 AM

The problem with using batting is that sometimes the runner is large enough that when you set the table the plates are partly on the runner and rock. Also you may need to put your stemware/glassware on them, again, batting will make it unstable. The unquilted ones I've seen were birthed, which also is quicker than binding. I guess I'm embarrassed because I've never washed any of mine. They don't stay on the table that long, I just shake them out, roll them & store them until next year. Guess I'm lucky there were no spills!

Bree123 11-28-2015 01:18 PM

If you're making them for craft shows, don't waste your time quilting them unless you like making $2/hour for your time. People in my area usually buy that stuff as hostess gifts or cheaply presents from little kids for moms and price is more important than quality. If you are making it for yourself or a loved one, I would definitely quilt it. I've done it both ways & also tried a heavy weight stabilizer for my mom since she wanted a sturdier, flatter runner to sit on table all the time (nightmare to see through). The quilted runner really has held up the best by far!

ro 11-28-2015 01:47 PM

most of the ladies at my group do not use batting. the reason is the money. they just cant afford to do it. I like to use the batting so i'll make one less quilt and use batting the way it should be made.

Geri B 11-28-2015 02:35 PM

When I make tablerunners I use thermolan...it's thinner than batting...so it's not spongy....I too have seen runners, placemats at craft shows that are just really those 10 minute things....and I really don't see many flocking to buy either.....remember,these do have to be washed and then ironed, although maybe seldom, but I really think most women don't want to be bothered...or don't iron anything either....I see many at the local goodwill store that have been washed and then donated!---- and I must say, I have rescued a few!

lindaschipper 11-29-2015 06:30 AM

There is a pattern on u-tube for something called the 10 minute table runner. I've seen them in all sizes at craft shows. Quick and easy and great for hostess gifts. Personally prefer mine to be quilted. In my opinion with a 40 to 50% coupon from JAF or Hobby Lobby the batting isn't that expensive.

celwood 11-29-2015 07:04 AM

I always quilt my table runners. I also use insul-brite so I can put hot dishes on them.

Gail B 11-29-2015 07:20 AM

I always quilt mine using either thermolam or insulbrite for batting. I use my table runners & table cloths all the time so they do need to be washed. I have never had a problem with wine glasses tipping on them.
I have seen the 10 minute ones at craft shows and questioned the gal that sells them. She said she couldn't afford to make them if she used batting & also said they shouldn't have to be washed because they are only for show. Mine aren't for show so I'll keep quilting them.

Jakers1 11-29-2015 07:24 AM

I made 2 table runners (gifts) and used the quilt as you go method, so no quilting shows. I did not use Insulbrite, and will let the recipients know not to use them as a hot pad, so hey do not burn. The next ones I will, however.