Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pieced or Quilted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pieced-quilted-t84486.html)

leatheflea 12-22-2010 11:20 AM

If you make a loaf of bread do you say its not home made because someone else ground the wheat or churned the butter?

justflyingin 12-22-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
The only time is becomes an issue is if you're entering it into a quilt show, even a small local one, whether judged or not.

It is both courteous and professional, and the right thing to do, to give credit to the longarm-er (is that a word?).

I've wondered about this. When the show judges it, what are they judging? The quilting or the piecing or both? If both and it is quilted and pieced by two different people, do they share the ribbon?

Bobbielinks 12-22-2010 11:57 AM

Yep, you made it.

MTS 12-22-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I've wondered about this. When the show judges it, what are they judging? The quilting or the piecing or both? If both and it is quilted and pieced by two different people, do they share the ribbon?

It depends on the show. Some smaller guild show allow everyone to enter each category. Some have separate categories for "Duo" or "Collaboration."
Sometimes there is a "Group" category, along with Round Robins quilts. If they're going to be broken out, I prefer Duo to Group.

The judges are judging both, really, You could have a gorgeous pieced top, but if some royally screwed up the quilting, then it will affect the overall finished quilt. The opposite is also true. Someone could have a simple "Yellow Brick Road" top that was quilted by a master quilter.

If it's a Duo quilt, there might even be 2 ribbons. If not, the ribbon goes to whoever submitted the quilt for the show.

Now, the big shows - Houston and Paducah ..I don't think they break it out because they're looking at the overall quilt. I'm thinking specifically of the Beatles and Space quilts by Nichols/Holly - both quilts won at Paducah. Also, there's the duo with the sparkles - Cherry something. Can't remember her name.
Doesn't Marilyn Badger also work with a partner on competition level quilts?

Bobbielinks 12-22-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin

Originally Posted by MTS
The only time is becomes an issue is if you're entering it into a quilt show, even a small local one, whether judged or not.

It is both courteous and professional, and the right thing to do, to give credit to the longarm-er (is that a word?).

I believe most shows would judge both the piecing and the quilting, unless it stated otherwise. Some shows do give two ribbons, one for the piecer and one for the quilter. Some shows only give one ribbon - usually to the piecer. I have had some quilts that I quilted for customers win ribbons in shows that only give one ribbon and the customer will give me a picture of her quilt with the ribbon attached. I enjoy this very much. I have also been awarded a ribbon for a customer's quilt that the show gave two ribbons one for the piecer and one for the quilter.

Betty Lee 12-22-2010 02:01 PM

I machine sew all my quilts and then have them sent out
to the lady who does Longarm quilting. I always list that
I machined pieced the top and the name of the person who
does the Longarm quilting on my label. Betty

ann clare 12-22-2010 04:46 PM

Off course

Blinker 12-22-2010 05:47 PM

That's why I very seldom have someone else work on my quilts. I like to say that I made it all myself.
Using the "cooking" analogy, if you mixed up the cookie dough & someone else baked them, would you have made the cookies? Something could go wrong in the baking, and by then it's too late.
It takes longer to do it yourself, and sometimes it's not convenient or easy, but in the end then you're the only one responsible for how it turned out.
Just my preference, I guess. I've had mostly good experiences working with long arm-ers when I did hand some of my quilts over to them to add their creativity, BTW.
And I don't enter judged shows. I just quilt for myself & for gifts.

MTS 12-22-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blinker
That's why I very seldom have someone else work on my quilts. I like to say that I made it all myself.
Using the "cooking" analogy, if you mixed up the cookie dough & someone else baked them, would you have made the cookies? Something could go wrong in the baking, and by then it's too late.
It takes longer to do it yourself, and sometimes it's not convenient or easy, but in the end then you're the only one responsible for how it turned out.
Just my preference, I guess. I've had mostly good experiences working with long arm-ers when I did hand some of my quilts over to them to add their creativity, BTW.
And I don't enter judged shows. I just quilt for myself & for gifts.

And you devised the recipe for the cookie dough all by yourself?
No?
So all you did was mix a bunch of ingredients together?
Well, now, how hard could that be?

:lol:

I'm just saying.....

LivelyLady 12-22-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
if you cook supper but someone else serves it, you get credit for a good supper. yes you made a quilt!
you can give the quilter credit for helping you pull it all together but I say it's mainly you baby!

I like your way of thinking :)