Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Pieced or Quilted

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,280
    Am I correct in saying I made a quilt if I pieced the top but had someone else machine quilt it? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    I consider you a quilter.
    Happy Quilting!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kat Sews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    646
    Yes. Many people don't have time or equipment to quilt their items. That's why we need longarm quilters.

  4. #4
    Lisa T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Menominee, Michigan
    Posts
    918
    In my book you made it!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,280
    Thank you. I am new at quilting and just wanted to make sure I was being honest with everybody when I said look at the quilt I made.

  6. #6
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    if you cook supper but someone else serves it, you get credit for a good supper. yes you made a quilt!
    you can give the quilter credit for helping you pull it all together but I say it's mainly you baby!

  7. #7
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    The Quilt Police will say you're the piecer not the quilter. But, luckily the quilt police aren't really welcome here;>

  8. #8
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    The only time is becomes an issue is if you're entering it into a quilt show, even a small local one, whether judged or not.

    It is both courteous and professional, and the right thing to do, to give credit to the longarm-er (is that a word?).

    However, I've seen labels without it. Not so polite, but not an "arrestable" offense. Sometimes it's from Grandma to Grandbaby and, understandably, Grandma didn't feel the need to add LongarmMary to the label.:D

    But you most certainly can consider yourself a quilter.

  9. #9
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if you cook supper but someone else serves it, you get credit for a good supper. yes you made a quilt!
    you can give the quilter credit for helping you pull it all together but I say it's mainly you baby!
    I love this anolagy :D:D:D

  10. #10
    Super Member dglvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    3,997
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if you cook supper but someone else serves it, you get credit for a good supper. yes you made a quilt!
    you can give the quilter credit for helping you pull it all together but I say it's mainly you baby!
    I love this anolagy :D:D:D
    Me too. :thumbup:

  11. #11
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    If you make a loaf of bread do you say its not home made because someone else ground the wheat or churned the butter?

  12. #12
    Super Member justflyingin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jozefow, Poland
    Posts
    4,502
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    The only time is becomes an issue is if you're entering it into a quilt show, even a small local one, whether judged or not.

    It is both courteous and professional, and the right thing to do, to give credit to the longarm-er (is that a word?).
    I've wondered about this. When the show judges it, what are they judging? The quilting or the piecing or both? If both and it is quilted and pieced by two different people, do they share the ribbon?

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,942
    Yep, you made it.

  14. #14
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I've wondered about this. When the show judges it, what are they judging? The quilting or the piecing or both? If both and it is quilted and pieced by two different people, do they share the ribbon?
    It depends on the show. Some smaller guild show allow everyone to enter each category. Some have separate categories for "Duo" or "Collaboration."
    Sometimes there is a "Group" category, along with Round Robins quilts. If they're going to be broken out, I prefer Duo to Group.

    The judges are judging both, really, You could have a gorgeous pieced top, but if some royally screwed up the quilting, then it will affect the overall finished quilt. The opposite is also true. Someone could have a simple "Yellow Brick Road" top that was quilted by a master quilter.

    If it's a Duo quilt, there might even be 2 ribbons. If not, the ribbon goes to whoever submitted the quilt for the show.

    Now, the big shows - Houston and Paducah ..I don't think they break it out because they're looking at the overall quilt. I'm thinking specifically of the Beatles and Space quilts by Nichols/Holly - both quilts won at Paducah. Also, there's the duo with the sparkles - Cherry something. Can't remember her name.
    Doesn't Marilyn Badger also work with a partner on competition level quilts?

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    The only time is becomes an issue is if you're entering it into a quilt show, even a small local one, whether judged or not.

    It is both courteous and professional, and the right thing to do, to give credit to the longarm-er (is that a word?).
    I've wondered about this. When the show judges it, what are they judging? The quilting or the piecing or both? If both and it is quilted and pieced by two different people, do they share the ribbon?
    I believe most shows would judge both the piecing and the quilting, unless it stated otherwise. Some shows do give two ribbons, one for the piecer and one for the quilter. Some shows only give one ribbon - usually to the piecer. I have had some quilts that I quilted for customers win ribbons in shows that only give one ribbon and the customer will give me a picture of her quilt with the ribbon attached. I enjoy this very much. I have also been awarded a ribbon for a customer's quilt that the show gave two ribbons one for the piecer and one for the quilter.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    200
    I machine sew all my quilts and then have them sent out
    to the lady who does Longarm quilting. I always list that
    I machined pieced the top and the name of the person who
    does the Longarm quilting on my label. Betty

  17. #17
    Power Poster ann clare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Navan. Co. Meath. Ireland
    Posts
    15,127
    Off course

  18. #18
    Blinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Woodstock, IL
    Posts
    4
    That's why I very seldom have someone else work on my quilts. I like to say that I made it all myself.
    Using the "cooking" analogy, if you mixed up the cookie dough & someone else baked them, would you have made the cookies? Something could go wrong in the baking, and by then it's too late.
    It takes longer to do it yourself, and sometimes it's not convenient or easy, but in the end then you're the only one responsible for how it turned out.
    Just my preference, I guess. I've had mostly good experiences working with long arm-ers when I did hand some of my quilts over to them to add their creativity, BTW.
    And I don't enter judged shows. I just quilt for myself & for gifts.

  19. #19
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinker
    That's why I very seldom have someone else work on my quilts. I like to say that I made it all myself.
    Using the "cooking" analogy, if you mixed up the cookie dough & someone else baked them, would you have made the cookies? Something could go wrong in the baking, and by then it's too late.
    It takes longer to do it yourself, and sometimes it's not convenient or easy, but in the end then you're the only one responsible for how it turned out.
    Just my preference, I guess. I've had mostly good experiences working with long arm-ers when I did hand some of my quilts over to them to add their creativity, BTW.
    And I don't enter judged shows. I just quilt for myself & for gifts.
    And you devised the recipe for the cookie dough all by yourself?
    No?
    So all you did was mix a bunch of ingredients together?
    Well, now, how hard could that be?

    :lol:

    I'm just saying.....

  20. #20
    Super Member LivelyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if you cook supper but someone else serves it, you get credit for a good supper. yes you made a quilt!
    you can give the quilter credit for helping you pull it all together but I say it's mainly you baby!
    I like your way of thinking :)

  21. #21
    Super Member ktmo815's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Strongsville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks for asking this question - I wondered also

  22. #22
    Peggi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mich. beautiful U.P.
    Posts
    166
    This message really hit home for me - I finally finished the top to my scrappy log cabin for my husband only to find out he has a very aggressive form of cancer, small cell. I was going to try and guilt it but not sure I can because of the size and not sure I'd have the time to finish it. I so want him to have it so am thinking of sending it out so he can use it. Glad to know it will still count from me.

  23. #23
    Super Member quilt3311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,867
    I would say I made the quilt, but xxxx quilted it. That info is also on the label. The quilter is an artist too, and deserves to have her work recognized on the label.

  24. #24
    Blinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Woodstock, IL
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinker
    That's why I very seldom have someone else work on my quilts. I like to say that I made it all myself.
    Using the "cooking" analogy, if you mixed up the cookie dough & someone else baked them, would you have made the cookies? Something could go wrong in the baking, and by then it's too late.
    It takes longer to do it yourself, and sometimes it's not convenient or easy, but in the end then you're the only one responsible for how it turned out.
    Just my preference, I guess. I've had mostly good experiences working with long arm-ers when I did hand some of my quilts over to them to add their creativity, BTW.
    And I don't enter judged shows. I just quilt for myself & for gifts.
    And you devised the recipe for the cookie dough all by yourself?
    No?
    So all you did was mix a bunch of ingredients together?
    Well, now, how hard could that be?

    :lol:

    I'm just saying.....
    And there is definitely more to a quilt if you made up the block design, or designed the arrangement of the blocks yourself ("devised the recipe") versus taking a pattern from a book, but that's another discussion.
    I said it was just my preference to finish the quilts I make, unless time or another factor enters into the decision, and there are lots of opinions posted. Thanks for sharing yours. I mostly read discussions; very seldom comment on them.
    Many/most like to use long-armers, and I do, too, on occasion.

  25. #25
    Senior Member MarthaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    712
    From a person who does hand quilting for others...I don't mind if my customers say they "made the quilt", but when someone bends down and closely examines the quilting, and asks, "Did you do the quilting too?" They'd better give me credit! Ha! I usually write something like, "Thanks for giving me the privilege of helping you complete your beautiful project" on the bill. I love helping them bring their hours of creative work to life. Watching quilting shows, like Fons & Porter, they usually say who pieced the quilt and who quilted it for them. But the quilt would never come into existence without the care and planning put in by the piecer. The piecer is the creative brain behind the quilt, the quilter just puts on the finishing touches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.