Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced or Quilted >

Pieced or Quilted

Pieced or Quilted

Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 PM

I appreciate your question and know that it must be bothering you, possibly because a member of the quilt police came to your guild and accused all who have a long arm artist quilt their tops or a group of hand quilters quilt their tops, "toppers."

"You are not quilters," the one who came to our guild meeting asserted.

There is a cure for ignorance, but none for stupidity. No matter that she had a national reputation as a teacher, I thought then and think now that she was stupid.

Of course you are a quilter/artist if you make the top. You hire a collaborating artist with another set of artistic and technical skills to finish it.

That's called specialization and division of labor and it's the way the modern world works.

Are you any less the owner of your car because you don't change the oil? Because you don't replace the brakes when needed? Because you take it to the detail shop to get it cleaned up?

As Nero Wolfe would have said, "Phooey!"

Merry Christmas and happy new year!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM

I think this is really semantics. Some folks have pet peeves with terminology. Who cares if you're a piecer or not? As long as you enjoy the hobby and create tangible items that you enjoy, that's all that matters.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Some ladies I've met have presented their quilts (to me and others) as quilts they've made, answering "..took it to so and so to have it quilted." I had the impression that it's understood if one puts the top all together, she's made the quilt! Having it quilted and bound by someone else is almost incidental!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM

I like how you replied. If I pieced the top and had it quilted together by someone else, I would say, up front, that I pieced it and someone else did the quilting. It's only right to tell it as it is. But that shouldn't take away from the pride you should have in your work!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 PM

Sure you can...but it is nice to give credit to your LA quilter if you put their name on the label and on the entry forms for any show you put it in. A good LA quilter can enhance the beauty of your quilt and really make it shine!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by MTS
The only time is becomes an issue is if you're entering it into a quilt show, even a small local one, whether judged or not.

It is both courteous and professional, and the right thing to do, to give credit to the longarm-er (is that a word?).
I've wondered about this. When the show judges it, what are they judging? The quilting or the piecing or both? If both and it is quilted and pieced by two different people, do they share the ribbon?
Most shows ask that the piecer and the quilter be listed separately, or Pieced/Quilted by one person.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM

You are a quilter
Old 12-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Our guild gives ribbons to both the piecer & the quilter, but generally speaking the ribbon goes with the quilt & that means the person who entered it or won it in a raffle.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 PM

In our quilt guild we have "Toppers" and "Quilters" and then some of us do both