Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced or Quilted >

Pieced or Quilted

Pieced or Quilted

Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 AM

Thanks for asking this question - I wondered also
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 AM

This message really hit home for me - I finally finished the top to my scrappy log cabin for my husband only to find out he has a very aggressive form of cancer, small cell. I was going to try and guilt it but not sure I can because of the size and not sure I'd have the time to finish it. I so want him to have it so am thinking of sending it out so he can use it. Glad to know it will still count from me.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:10 AM

I would say I made the quilt, but xxxx quilted it. That info is also on the label. The quilter is an artist too, and deserves to have her work recognized on the label.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Blinker
That's why I very seldom have someone else work on my quilts. I like to say that I made it all myself.
Using the "cooking" analogy, if you mixed up the cookie dough & someone else baked them, would you have made the cookies? Something could go wrong in the baking, and by then it's too late.
It takes longer to do it yourself, and sometimes it's not convenient or easy, but in the end then you're the only one responsible for how it turned out.
Just my preference, I guess. I've had mostly good experiences working with long arm-ers when I did hand some of my quilts over to them to add their creativity, BTW.
And I don't enter judged shows. I just quilt for myself & for gifts.
And you devised the recipe for the cookie dough all by yourself?
No?
So all you did was mix a bunch of ingredients together?
Well, now, how hard could that be?

:lol:

I'm just saying.....
And there is definitely more to a quilt if you made up the block design, or designed the arrangement of the blocks yourself ("devised the recipe") versus taking a pattern from a book, but that's another discussion.
I said it was just my preference to finish the quilts I make, unless time or another factor enters into the decision, and there are lots of opinions posted. Thanks for sharing yours. I mostly read discussions; very seldom comment on them.
Many/most like to use long-armers, and I do, too, on occasion.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 AM

From a person who does hand quilting for others...I don't mind if my customers say they "made the quilt", but when someone bends down and closely examines the quilting, and asks, "Did you do the quilting too?" They'd better give me credit! Ha! I usually write something like, "Thanks for giving me the privilege of helping you complete your beautiful project" on the bill. I love helping them bring their hours of creative work to life. Watching quilting shows, like Fons & Porter, they usually say who pieced the quilt and who quilted it for them. But the quilt would never come into existence without the care and planning put in by the piecer. The piecer is the creative brain behind the quilt, the quilter just puts on the finishing touches.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Blinker
And there is definitely more to a quilt if you made up the block design, or designed the arrangement of the blocks yourself ("devised the recipe") versus taking a pattern from a book, but that's another discussion.
I said it was just my preference to finish the quilts I make, unless time or another factor enters into the decision, and there are lots of opinions posted. Thanks for sharing yours. I mostly read discussions; very seldom comment on them.
Many/most like to use long-armers, and I do, too, on occasion.
Actually, it's exactly the same discussion.

If someone doesn't applique because they dislike it, do they get disqualified as a quilter?

Why do people have to buy charm cakes and jelly rolls? If they're quilters, why the heck can't they cut their own darn fabric? Are they really quilters?

Shouldn't a quilt that's done on a domestic sewing machine be judged differently than one that's done a long-arm, because one must be easier than the other? Hmmm, tell that to Diane Gaudynski and Sharon Schamber.

It's ridiculous.

The actual quilting is just one part of the process.
If someone wants to send out their quilts, that's fine.
It doesn't make them any less of a quilter.

And it doesn't make someone who does it all by herself higher up on the "quilting" food chain.

Unless, of course, you're Diane Gaudynksi or Sharon Schamber. :lol:
Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 AM

When the quilt is quilted at a Quilting Bee or Quilting Group it still is made by the person who pieced it. Many of my vintage quilts were quilted by the local quilting group or church quilting group.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dglvr
Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by kathy
if you cook supper but someone else serves it, you get credit for a good supper. yes you made a quilt!
you can give the quilter credit for helping you pull it all together but I say it's mainly you baby!
I love this anolagy :D:D:D
Me too. :thumbup:
Actually, I think a more accurate analogy would be if you made a good dinner and someone else set a great table, plated the food and did the styling and made a great dessert. If you don't do the quilting, it's like you walked away and left the pots on the stove. Your top may be absolutely breathtaking, but you can't claim you made the whole quilt yourself if you didn't. But I'd still call you a quilter.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Just one more comment from a custom quilter...If a person completes a top, but doesn't have the skills to quilt(or just plain doesn't like to quilt)they should not feel guilty or feel like any less of a quilt maker if they don't do everything from start to finish. Like the previous post says, traditionally women have always helped others quilt their quilts. Asking one (or 12) of your friends to help is just continuing that tradition. The bottom line is what brings you fulfillment. Some start by dying their own fabric, others buy precut kits with everything coordinated for them. Both are quilt makers. I love hand quilting but that doesn't make me more of a quilt maker than one who doesn't. Having grown up in a family and church that regularly hosted quilting bees, that is one part of American culture that I wish we could restore...women getting together to talk about their lives and support each other in a more daily way.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 PM

After reading the replys, I just was so surprised. If you pieced the quilt, you are the piecer not the quilter. All of the old quilts that I have looked at that have a label on and are made by a "Quilting Group", the name of the group is on it and sometimes the names of the people in the group. Everyone has to do what is right for them and there is no criticism ment. In my mind, if you didn't sew the "stack" together, you did not do the quilting you did the piecing.