Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing border - help/suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-border-help-suggestions-t300321.html)

osewfast 10-19-2018 11:00 AM

Piecing border - help/suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Y'all,
I'm getting started on this commission baby quilt. I decided it w/ EQ - and now that it was approved by the grandmother-to-be, and I'm actually getting started on it, I realize that border could be a booger to piece. Anyone have any suggestions or guidance on how to accurately piece it together?
Thanks!
Donna Mc
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602760[/ATTACH]

osewfast 10-19-2018 11:01 AM

FYI - ignore the white around the motorcycle - I couldn't get EQ to make that area transparent. The bike will be appliqued onto the teal. =)

Donna Mc

Peckish 10-19-2018 12:14 PM

With all those bias edges :shock:, I'd recommend starching all the fabrics before cutting, and paper-piecing would probably be the best way to go for accuracy.

osewfast 10-19-2018 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8145947)
With all those bias edges :shock:, I'd recommend starching all the fabrics before cutting, and paper-piecing would probably be the best way to go for accuracy.

Yes - the bias area were intimidating me!

Starch ~ thank you so much for that handy reminder!
I'm not very comfortable with PP, but have done it a little. I'll definitely keep the PP suggestion in mind.
Thank you so much!
Donna Mc

Kassaundra 10-19-2018 12:57 PM

I think those pieced triangles could be made from pieced squares (strip pieced) and cut in two.

quiltedsunshine 10-19-2018 06:32 PM

There might be a lot of waste with paper piecing that big, light blue piece. I'd probably make some templates to cut the fabric with.

Teen 10-19-2018 07:23 PM

One option would be to piece as flying geese. The large light blue would the rectangle and the black and dark blue would be pieced first then added as the wings. Make sense? That would mean that the dark blue, when assembled would have a seam down the middle. The other option may be to piece it like you would blocks "on point"..... You know, diagonally? It's a cool design....

Gay 10-20-2018 12:03 AM

I would create another block in EQ to the size of the large lt blue triangle and draw that first and print it out as a template. Then draw in the dk blue diamond with the black triangles and print that one out, either as a foundation pieced or simple templates. They will all have the seam allowances printed.

You would then start sewing the black/dk blue triangle sections first and add them to the lt blue ones. If I knew how wide and long the pieced border would be I could tell you sizes of the diamonds you would need to cut. And I agree with starching well before cutting your strips.

eparys 10-20-2018 04:02 AM

Since you have EQ - I agree - paper piece them.

illinois 10-20-2018 04:50 AM

Maybe it just seemed to be a good idea at the time?? Sure is pretty though! Love the motorcycle and that would be the part I'd have trouble recreating. How are you going to do it?