Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing with chenille (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-chenille-t293950.html)

indymta 01-09-2018 11:40 AM

Piecing with chenille

I will soon start piecing 4 patch flannel blocks alternating with chenille blocks. The directions give no instructions on needle size or seam size. The chenille fabric was difficult to cut and and wondering if a size 70 needle will be ok. Also I can't imagine that a 1/4 inch seam will "work". Maybe I'm making too much of this. I've never worked with chenille,
minky or fleece ("thicker" than quilting cotton). This was a quilt kit given to me. Never paid attention to the chenille
and worked on the flannel blocks. Got those finished and started cutting the chenille this weekend--each block
had to be cut separately (per directions) and I should finish this PM. Any help would be appreciated.

Prism99 01-09-2018 11:58 AM

I believe a size 70 needle would be too fine, likely to bend and break. I would use a size 80.

indymta 01-09-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7979907)
I believe a size 70 needle would be too fine, likely to bend and break. I would use a size 80.

Glad I asked, thanks for the suggestion.

Tartan 01-09-2018 12:01 PM

​I wonder if you could give the chenille seam allowances a hair cut? Maybe dog or hair clippers?

indymta 01-09-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7979910)
​I wonder if you could give the chenille seam allowances a hair cut? Maybe dog or hair clippers?

I just took a close look and the fabric is so closely chenilled, I don't think I could manage it and I would have to do it with scissors - no clippers. But I will keep that in mind if I work with chenille again.

Irishrose2 01-09-2018 04:56 PM

I made chenille and flannel blankets for our church bazaar. Used my regular old size 12 (80) needle and seams about 1/2". There was absolutely no problem with any of it.

Ariannaquilts 01-09-2018 08:49 PM

I have made quilts using regular cotton and alternating with the chenille, did not change a thing. I used my same 90/14 needle and regular seam allowance. Didn't have to shave anything either. I used 2 different types of chenille one was regular channels the other was wavy. You can do this. Good luck!

indymta 01-10-2018 11:38 AM

Thanks Irishrose2 and Ariannaquilts for the info. I know to definitely change my needle. I usually piece with a 70 but
will switch to a bigger needle. Not sure if I have an 80 but I do have a 90. I have some extra scrap flannel and chenille pieces so I'll see if I can do a 1/4 inch seam.
Thanks for the encouragement.

suern3 01-10-2018 03:14 PM

One of the first quilts I made was a chenille and flannel baby quilt for a newborn grand-daughter. I followed a pattern in a book of baby quilts. I didn't know enough to worry about it and just followed the pattern. Turned out fine. I would use a larger needle as suggested, though. Have no idea what I used at the time. I'm sure you will have a warm and cozy quilt when you are done. Hope to see a picture.

indymta 01-10-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 7980603)
One of the first quilts I made was a chenille and flannel baby quilt for a newborn grand-daughter. I followed a pattern in a book of baby quilts. I didn't know enough to worry about it and just followed the pattern. Turned out fine. I would use a larger needle as suggested, though. Have no idea what I used at the time. I'm sure you will have a warm and cozy quilt when you are done. Hope to see a picture.

Thanks for the good wishes. I was concerned because the chenille included in this kit is really chenilled (is that a word?).
Had a hard time cutting with my 60 mm new blade and couldn't imagine being able to accurately sew a 1/4 inch seam (not that I can do that with regular cotton).