Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Piecing with chenille

Blog Entries

Piecing with chenille

I will soon start piecing 4 patch flannel blocks alternating with chenille blocks. The directions give no instructions on needle size or seam size. The chenille fabric was difficult to cut and and wondering if a size 70 needle will be ok. Also I can't imagine that a 1/4 inch seam will "work". Maybe I'm making too much of this. I've never worked with chenille,
    minky or fleece ("thicker" than quilting cotton). This was a quilt kit given to me. Never paid attention to the chenille
    and worked on the flannel blocks. Got those finished and started cutting the chenille this weekend--each block
    had to be cut separately (per directions) and I should finish this PM. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I believe a size 70 needle would be too fine, likely to bend and break. I would use a size 80.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I believe a size 70 needle would be too fine, likely to bend and break. I would use a size 80.
    Glad I asked, thanks for the suggestion.

Power Poster
    ​I wonder if you could give the chenille seam allowances a hair cut? Maybe dog or hair clippers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​I wonder if you could give the chenille seam allowances a hair cut? Maybe dog or hair clippers?
    I just took a close look and the fabric is so closely chenilled, I don't think I could manage it and I would have to do it with scissors - no clippers. But I will keep that in mind if I work with chenille again.

I made chenille and flannel blankets for our church bazaar. Used my regular old size 12 (80) needle and seams about 1/2". There was absolutely no problem with any of it.

I have made quilts using regular cotton and alternating with the chenille, did not change a thing. I used my same 90/14 needle and regular seam allowance. Didn't have to shave anything either. I used 2 different types of chenille one was regular channels the other was wavy. You can do this. Good luck!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Irishrose2 and Ariannaquilts for the info. I know to definitely change my needle. I usually piece with a 70 but
    will switch to a bigger needle. Not sure if I have an 80 but I do have a 90. I have some extra scrap flannel and chenille pieces so I'll see if I can do a 1/4 inch seam.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

One of the first quilts I made was a chenille and flannel baby quilt for a newborn grand-daughter. I followed a pattern in a book of baby quilts. I didn't know enough to worry about it and just followed the pattern. Turned out fine. I would use a larger needle as suggested, though. Have no idea what I used at the time. I'm sure you will have a warm and cozy quilt when you are done. Hope to see a picture.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    One of the first quilts I made was a chenille and flannel baby quilt for a newborn grand-daughter. I followed a pattern in a book of baby quilts. I didn't know enough to worry about it and just followed the pattern. Turned out fine. I would use a larger needle as suggested, though. Have no idea what I used at the time. I'm sure you will have a warm and cozy quilt when you are done. Hope to see a picture.
    Thanks for the good wishes. I was concerned because the chenille included in this kit is really chenilled (is that a word?).
    Had a hard time cutting with my 60 mm new blade and couldn't imagine being able to accurately sew a 1/4 inch seam (not that I can do that with regular cotton).

I have made two chenille and flannel quilts. I didn't have any trouble with the quarter inch seams or needles. It is very linty though. I cleaned the machine a lot.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I have made two chenille and flannel quilts. I didn't have any trouble with the quarter inch seams or needles. It is very linty though. I cleaned the machine a lot.
    Thanks for the info. I don't clean my machine very often as I pretty use flannel for backing and someone else does the quilting. I will definitely keep an eye on that.