Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: faux chenille before laundry

i just finished snipping this faux chenille reversable. if i ever think about making another i hope someone will remind me that it isn't as much fun as it seems like it should be. imagine how many layers of flannel are at every intersection. 3 layers for the front and one for the back. when four blocks touch that is a lot of fabric for my poor machine to labor thru. it was worse than the denim i recently made. i only broke 1 needle but it was shattered and deformed so badly i thought i would probably have to take my machine in for repair. but it seems to be okay.
    i saw this made on KAY'S QUILTING FRIENDS. they went on and on about how much fun it was. well.....sort of.
    i am anxious to see it after the laundry. i don't wash these rag quilts in my home machine as i am on septic and don't want to take any chances. i will post another pic after it "blooms" in the wash. i guess that's what they call the chenille appearance. the hearts are sewn 1/4 inch in from the raw edge then clipped.
    i might add that this quilt took almost 2 full spools of thread and several prewound bobbins. that and the many yards of flannel, which i got at a deep discount, but still, add up to a pretty expensive project.
    i am rambling but haven't seen much mention of faux chenille on the board so thought i'd give the unsuspecting a heads up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It may not have been fun, but at lrteast it turned out gorgeous! That ought to be some satisfaction!

I haven't tried that technique at all - how do you deal with the outside edges?

Oooh, I love it! I can just imagine how it feels! Great job! I'll keep your chenille tips in mind! :roll: Thanks!

I love it! You really have to take it the laundromat, hopefully when know one is there.

moonpi, it is the same as any rag quilt. just sew 1/2 or 1 inch in from the raw edge all the way around. then snip snip snip. i usually use 1 inch seem allowance but this one called for 1/2 inch.
    the lady on the show had one that she had put a binding on, but i like the rag edge. can't imagine trying to bind over those thick seams.

I love making chenille!!! I have made several cushions using that technique.. I would imagine a whole quilt would be amazing, but also thinking it could be very very heavy

This is gorgeous, I have that on my to do list some day.

quilting aggi, yes it is very heavy. the one on the show was baby quilt size. but i thought a kid size or lap size would be nice. hadn't calculated the weight. should be very warm and snuggly. :shock: :shock:

Wow, I saw that also and thought about it. Very nice.

Did you make the chanille with layered fabric or did you buy already made?

bj
    Very cute! Let us see after it's washed...Please :) !

donnarae, this chenille is made with layers of fabric. mine is 3 layers sewn 1/2 inch apart diagonally over the whole block. i have seen some use 4 layers. all but the bottom layer are slashed between the seams and when laundered the fabric "blooms" into chenille. my fourth layer is the back, applied after the slashing and the heart is sewn onto this back. is that clear as mud :?: :wink:

Sure it! I have both cutters to make the chenille but boy it must be expensive cosidering all the layers of fabric. I love your pattern and how it turned out though. Just might give it a try. :-)

I'm so looking forward to seeing it, after it has bloomed in the washer. I know it had to be very labor intensive, but you did a beautiful job.

Its just lovely!!! I can't wait to see the "blooms" :) You did such a beautiful job and ohhh how I love those colors!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OoohhhI can't wait to see it bloom!!

Quote Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
    i just finished snipping this faux chenille reversable. if i ever think about making another i hope someone will remind me that it isn't as much fun as it seems like it should be. imagine how many layers of flannel are at every intersection. 3 layers for the front and one for the back. when four blocks touch that is a lot of fabric for my poor machine to labor thru. it was worse than the denim i recently made. i only broke 1 needle but it was shattered and deformed so badly i thought i would probably have to take my machine in for repair. but it seems to be okay.
    i saw this made on KAY'S QUILTING FRIENDS. they went on and on about how much fun it was. well.....sort of.
    i am anxious to see it after the laundry. i don't wash these rag quilts in my home machine as i am on septic and don't want to take any chances. i will post another pic after it "blooms" in the wash. i guess that's what they call the chenille appearance. the hearts are sewn 1/4 inch in from the raw edge then clipped.
    i might add that this quilt took almost 2 full spools of thread and several prewound bobbins. that and the many yards of flannel, which i got at a deep discount, but still, add up to a pretty expensive project.
    i am rambling but haven't seen much mention of faux chenille on the board so thought i'd give the unsuspecting a heads up.
    Still waiting to see the finished product! I have a book of patterns, and this is on my to-do list. I appreciate your tips. You did a great job!

i love your quilt.

skacian, hi, thanks for the interest in this project. i posted a new thread called "FAUX CHENILLE AFTER LAUNDRY" sorry you didn't see it but it is easy to find. just scroll down.

Know what you mean Nanabird - about the work. i just finished a raggey quilt babysize which didn't have half as much cutting as yours did. lots of work tho.

question: Does the fabric fray better if it's cut on the bias?? My pattern was arranged that way but I wonder what would happen if i cut it on the straight of the fabric. Would use less fabric.

thanks for any tips.

hi stay-at-home, when you are making chenille always slash on the bias. that way it blooms instead of being raggy. you don't want chenille to fray just get curley. that makes it look like traditional chenille. your rag quilt should be frayed but not the chenille.
    if you look at the picture i posted the quilt is actually a rag as well as chenille. the blocks are joined and clipped to make the rag edges. so are the hearts. but the blocks themselves are slashed on the bias to form the chenille.

is that as clear as mud :?:

That's pretty, but don't think I'd attemp it.

Quote Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
    hi stay-at-home, when you are making chenille always slash on the bias. that way it blooms instead of being raggy. you don't want chenille to fray just get curley. that makes it look like traditional chenille. your rag quilt should be frayed but not the chenille.
    if you look at the picture i posted the quilt is actually a rag as well as chenille. the blocks are joined and clipped to make the rag edges. so are the hearts. but the blocks themselves are slashed on the bias to form the chenille.

is that as clear as mud :?:
    Okay Nana, Thanks very much for all your tips. I'm looking at your picture again. I see what you mean about raggy versus chenille. . Another question: You sewed the hearts onto the back of the chenille after you cut the chenille. I can see the heart outlines on the plain colored blocks. Didn't the chenille get all twisted and turned when you sewed the hearts??

you're welcome stayat home, i did sew the hearts on after slashing and they stayed just as flat as could be most every time. a couple of spots caught the slashed fabric but after washing you can't even tell. the stitching lines for the chenille are only 1/2 inch apart so there isn't much loose material.
    are you going to go for the chenille?? try it, its pretty fun. you can even do it as one large block. just sew diagonally across the whole area with 1/2 inch between the stitch lines. use at least 3 layers, maybe 4. it makes a very nice baby quilt with no blocks to join.
    good luck, post pics if you do one of these pretties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast