Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   faux chenille before laundry (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/faux-chenille-before-laundry-t5120.html)

nanabirdmo 03-10-2008 08:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
i just finished snipping this faux chenille reversable. if i ever think about making another i hope someone will remind me that it isn't as much fun as it seems like it should be. imagine how many layers of flannel are at every intersection. 3 layers for the front and one for the back. when four blocks touch that is a lot of fabric for my poor machine to labor thru. it was worse than the denim i recently made. i only broke 1 needle but it was shattered and deformed so badly i thought i would probably have to take my machine in for repair. but it seems to be okay.
i saw this made on KAY'S QUILTING FRIENDS. they went on and on about how much fun it was. well.....sort of.
i am anxious to see it after the laundry. i don't wash these rag quilts in my home machine as i am on septic and don't want to take any chances. i will post another pic after it "blooms" in the wash. i guess that's what they call the chenille appearance. the hearts are sewn 1/4 inch in from the raw edge then clipped.
i might add that this quilt took almost 2 full spools of thread and several prewound bobbins. that and the many yards of flannel, which i got at a deep discount, but still, add up to a pretty expensive project.
i am rambling but haven't seen much mention of faux chenille on the board so thought i'd give the unsuspecting a heads up.

Lucky Patsy's 03-10-2008 08:15 AM

It may not have been fun, but at lrteast it turned out gorgeous! That ought to be some satisfaction!

Moonpi 03-10-2008 08:19 AM

I haven't tried that technique at all - how do you deal with the outside edges?

Chele 03-10-2008 08:20 AM

Oooh, I love it! I can just imagine how it feels! Great job! I'll keep your chenille tips in mind! :roll: Thanks!

3incollege 03-10-2008 08:25 AM

I love it! You really have to take it the laundromat, hopefully when know one is there.

nanabirdmo 03-10-2008 08:31 AM

moonpi, it is the same as any rag quilt. just sew 1/2 or 1 inch in from the raw edge all the way around. then snip snip snip. i usually use 1 inch seem allowance but this one called for 1/2 inch.
the lady on the show had one that she had put a binding on, but i like the rag edge. can't imagine trying to bind over those thick seams.

Quilting Aggi 03-10-2008 09:41 AM

I love making chenille!!! I have made several cushions using that technique.. I would imagine a whole quilt would be amazing, but also thinking it could be very very heavy

newquiltertoni 03-10-2008 10:01 AM

This is gorgeous, I have that on my to do list some day.

nanabirdmo 03-10-2008 10:07 AM

quilting aggi, yes it is very heavy. the one on the show was baby quilt size. but i thought a kid size or lap size would be nice. hadn't calculated the weight. should be very warm and snuggly. :shock: :shock:

DonnaRae 03-10-2008 10:30 AM

Wow, I saw that also and thought about it. Very nice.