Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing? Quilting? or both? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-quilting-both-t193688.html)

Elise1 07-05-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR (Post 5341853)
Have any of you piecers/toppers considered swapping services with one of us quilters? Or vice-versa?

Even though I don't enjoy the quilting part, somehow I just have to do the whole thing myself. I don't think I would feel as good about the end result if someone else did the quilting. Every stitch has to be my work.

auntpiggylpn 07-05-2012 05:35 PM

I love the piecing portion of quilt making and I tolerate the quilting part.

irishrose 07-05-2012 06:01 PM

Dreaming of a quilt :thumbup:
Choosing a pattern :thumbdown: Too many to chose from
Choosing fabric :thumbup::thumbup:
Washing and pressing - okay, except backing pieces
Cutting - okay
Piecing :thumbup:
Putting blocks on design wall and sewing them together:thumbup:
Final pressing - okay
Sandwiching :thumbdown::thumbdown:
FMQ :thumbup:
Completing and gifting :D:D

QuiltingKrazy 07-05-2012 06:07 PM

I was working on my first feathered mini quilt last weekend and while piecing it together I remember thinking to myself how relaxing this was to me. I truly enjoy the cutting and piecing together. I "like" the quilting part but get frustrated more do to the small area I have when quilting large quilts. But I sure do enjoy admiring my work after the piecing and quilting is all done! Makes me feel so good!

mighty 07-05-2012 06:07 PM

I love it all!!!!

Dolphyngyrl 07-05-2012 06:38 PM

I like both just wish i was better at fmq

rrhaigh 07-05-2012 06:52 PM

I love it all, especally the planning part and then the challenge to find just the right fabics and pattern. I recently started using a long arm and I love that process also. Like you said, the quilting process makes the quilt come alive! But giving them to people and seeing their enjoyment is priceless!

Laura in Montreal 07-05-2012 07:02 PM

I love finding the pattern (from quilting or non-quilting sources), but hate choosing the fabric (never sure it'll work or not, potentially ruining the whole project). Cutting out the pieces is tedious, but satisfying in the end when I see that wonderful pile of pieces to be sewn together. Piecing (by hand) is so very calming... stitch, stitch, stitch, stitch, backstitch, stitch, stitch... Ironing is frustrating -- interrupts the stitching. Building by putting blocks together is wonderful -- seeing how it grows! And when the top is all together, sandwiching is fine. A relief from all that stitch, stitching. Basting is fine, too because the end is near. Then, the hand quilting begins. How am I going to make this into something fantastic, something expressive, something glorious? It's a new challenge. By the time I get to the binding, I absolutely hate everything I've done, though, because I've put so much into it, with such high hopes, that nothing I could do would satisfy me. Two months later, though, I'm as proud as punch at the result. I did a good thing. It's an emotional roller coaster, I swear. The person who receives the quilt loves me even more for what I've gone through to get that gem to him or her. Whew! In short, I love it all.

nls 07-05-2012 07:08 PM

Prefer piecing over the quilting.

Cybrarian 07-05-2012 07:16 PM

I love it all, but all my quilting is on my domestic machine-trying to get better at it!