Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing warn and natural batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-warn-natural-batting-t80508.html)

GemState 12-05-2010 05:36 AM

Like Dunster, I use lightweight fusible interfacing, usually cutting the strips about 2 inches wide. I've done this MANY times and have never had a problem with it.

patchsamkim 12-05-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
I found some fusible lightweight interfacing at Joanne's and cut it with the rotary cutter in 1 1/2 inch strips to use for piecing batting, should work on Warm and Natural too. Much cheaper than the precut tape. Or is you have some from sewing, use it up this way.

Carol J.

NOW...why didn't I think of that!!! Great idea!!!

cbuchanan 12-05-2010 06:13 AM

I overlap the two pieces and cut them with rotary cutter to be sure I have a straight line. I then use a large needle and stitch them together. I sew straight across the two pieces, then bring the needle back to the right side and do a side-ways stitch and keep going like a ladder. I found when I zig-zagged, it indented the batting and I could feel it under the top layer of the quilt.

Fabaddict 12-05-2010 06:35 AM

I use all methods - just which ever one I feel like at the time. the only method that "shows" is overlapping. However no matter which method I used, I always quilt a little closer than normal - just to be doubly sure they won't fall apart. Do the same with poly batting too.

illinois 12-05-2010 06:44 AM

I do this, too. I think it is a stitch I learned back when I was doing a little tailoring just for fun. It's really just a big zig-zag but it is loose enough that it doesn't compress the batting. It doesn't have to be close together--just holding the two pieces together until you can get them into the quilt and it will be secured by the quilting.

illinois 12-05-2010 06:46 AM

I secure mine by hand, too. Butt the edges together first. I think it is a stitch I learned back when I was doing a little tailoring just for fun. It's really just a big zig-zag but it is loose enough that it doesn't compress the batting. It doesn't have to be close together--just holding the two pieces together until you can get them into the quilt and it will be secured by the quilting.

Loisrhunter 12-05-2010 08:11 AM

I found something cool at the Pacific International Quilt Festival. Its a white band about 2 1/2 inches wide; you butt the batting together, and iron it on to meld the two pieces of batting. Its wonderful to be able to use odd strips of batting. I can't think of the name, but it should be easy to find on the internet.

Londonborn 12-05-2010 08:18 AM

Re Warm and Natural: I read here about the new product but I had some HeatnBond LITE (not heavy) and tried it, also sewed through it and it worked great. Just a thought you might like.

grocifer 12-05-2010 10:17 AM

I use a foot with a metal guide on the bottom. I butt the edges together and then with the aid of the guide I can zz really fast and they go together perfectly.

Bobbielinks 12-05-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
Most of us just butt it together and use a zigzag stitch. I haven't had any problems in doing this.

Am I the only one who uses a running stitch by hand to attach them? It lays flat, you'd never know I pieced it unless you took the whole quilt apart and it seems to be doing great. I saw to do this in a book. Guess I'm really behind the times! LOL! Doesn't the zig zagging make that seam area too thin?

No, you are not the only one. Whenever I need to piece batting, I butt it together and use hand stitching to hold it. I have never had the seam to be felt nor seen when the quilting is done.