Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pin stab...oh NO...help!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pin-stab-oh-no-help-t272584.html)

Jan in VA 11-23-2015 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7384727)
Believe it or not...your own spit will get out the blood stain. It works every time. Cold...not hot water with light detergent will work too. Heat of any sort sets the stain.

This is true; your own saliva has enzymes that effect the blood smear. This little tidbit probably has something to do with the also fact that when one swallows much of their own blood it can be quite nauseating. (Yeah, I know, swallowing any blood is really gross, PERIOD!)

Try the spit technique. :thumbup:

Jan in VA

Reba'squilts 11-24-2015 04:23 AM

I learn something new all the time here....chew a wad of thread...who would have thunk!!!

mamab113 11-24-2015 05:21 AM

For blood, hydrogen peroxide. I'm a nurse..... I've been there.

tessagin 11-24-2015 05:27 AM

This works for me. I tried the bread wad and didn't work out of habit I swallowed it.

Originally Posted by lovingmama (Post 7384883)
Hydrogen peroxide

juliea9967 11-24-2015 06:24 AM

I have always used my own spit, and it has always worked. I use Qtips.

AlaskaAlice 11-24-2015 07:28 AM

i always use spit always works:thumbup:

maviskw 11-24-2015 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7384745)
Spit always worked for me but that was before it dried. Your spit only works with your own blood. Don't panic, at least blood does come out.

Yes, before it dries, that works very well. After it dries, Biz works. Make a solution of Biz and water in a small container. Dunk the stained portion of the quilt into this container and let it set for at least an hour. Then look at it. If it's not all gone, soak it longer. Then rinse the Biz out of that portion.

I've always had very good luck with Biz.

Jo Belmont 11-24-2015 08:07 AM

Hydrogen peroxide always goes after protein-based substances (blood). I'm a bit of a bleeder, so the least little prick gets me going and about the time I think it has stopped, I discover a trail of dots on my quilt. Over 30 years, peroxide on a swab has never let me down.

selm 11-24-2015 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7384727)
Believe it or not...your own spit will get out the blood stain. It works every time. Cold...not hot water with light detergent will work too. Heat of any sort sets the stain.

Spit is also used to clean oil paintings - believe it or not. I cleaned one once with spit and cotton tips and it worked well.

MarthaT 11-24-2015 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7384823)
I have a hard time believing that only your own saliva will remove your blood stain. Has anyone tested it with someone else's saliva or someone else's blood? (Stay safe, don't do something stupid while testing this out, LOL.)

I first learned this trick while watching a sewing show on TV where they interviewed someone who works with preserving antique needlework. They asked her what is the best thing for someone to do when they bleed on their project. She said the enzymes in your spit match your blood. Weird, but it's always right there when I need it. :-)