Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinked edges on pre-cuts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinked-edges-pre-cuts-t287791.html)

SharonTheriault 04-25-2017 03:26 PM

Pinked edges on pre-cuts

When measuring for a 1/4" seam on a pre-cut with pinked edges, do you measure from the points or the 'valleys'?
Got a pre-cut of Kaffe Fauset (May have spelled that wrong) and I can't get an accurate seam.

EasyPeezy 04-25-2017 04:07 PM

I don't trim jelly rolls but for charm squares and layer cakes I usually trim
those pinked edges. Since I usually starch all my fabric it tends to shrink
a bit. I find a pattern or make my own so that it can use maximum
4.5" square (charm) or 9.5" square (layer cakes).
Sometimes even before starching they are not always square.

Mdegenhart 04-25-2017 04:12 PM

From the points.

NJ Quilter 04-25-2017 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart (Post 7811633)
From the points.

Now, see, that's where we all have differing opinions. I'd measure from the 'valley' just so I knew I was getting at least a 1/4" seam.

I suppose the best answer is to measure your pre-cut valley-to-valley and then point-to-point and see what the actual measurement of the cuts?? That, ultimately, may be the answer to your question. I don't normally buy pre-cuts so can't offer much better direction than that.

Onebyone 04-25-2017 05:39 PM

I measure from the point. Pinked edges have never bothered me, I can fill in the blanks and see it as a solid edge.

sushi 04-25-2017 05:46 PM

I agree with NJ Quilter. What size square does your pattern call for? Measure your precut, compare it to the requirements of the pattern, and trim accordingly.

Funny that I've have that question in mind for a year or more without having arrived at an answer. Thank you for asking the question so that I could answer it without having a quilt in the fight.:o I intend to follow my own advice from now on.

joe'smom 04-25-2017 08:13 PM

The two jellyrolls I've used were 2.5 in. wide including the points.

DJ 04-25-2017 09:07 PM

If you were cutting a pinked edge with a rotary cutter, wouldn't you line the ruler up with the measurement you were trying to cut (say 2 1/2" mark) and cut with your pinking blade? Then the 1/4" mark would be measured from the "valley". Seems like it would be harder to sew along the valley though. I think you really have to measure your pre-cut to know where to sew your 1/4" seam.

bearisgray 04-25-2017 10:43 PM

How about cutting a square with straight edges and put one square with the pinked edges on top of it and see how they compare?

I have had that question, too, but have not wanted to buy any of those precuts.

dunster 04-26-2017 05:22 AM

I agree with the ones who said to measure your particular precuts to see how they were cut. If you're making a pattern where the finished size of the patch doesn't matter too much - like jelly roll race, or 4-patch for instance - then consistency is the only thing that really matters.