Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A plea for smaller pictures (for our Gallery, and in general) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/plea-smaller-pictures-our-gallery-general-t199925.html)

cat-on-a-mac 09-08-2012 12:25 PM

A plea for smaller pictures (for our Gallery, and in general)

I know this has been discussed in the past, but thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention again. Please be careful with the size of the pictures you post. Recently, I've had to skip adding a couple of beautiful quilts to the gallery, because the photos were too big. The Album area, which now is the location of our Gallery, will only accept files up to 1.91M.

In my opinion, however, that size allowance is extremely generous. Much smaller files are usually just as viewable on the site.

Because of where I live, I do not have broadband access; my internet connection is via a 3G modem, with a limited amount of data per month. So, it really chews up my monthly allowance viewing some of the photos on our Board. And, it's not exactly speedy, either!

So, keep the pictures coming ... but put them on a diet!

Thanks

nativetexan 09-08-2012 01:33 PM

I can't even find the size allowed to be posted in the many rules in Pictures. i've forgotten. i know it's not huge though.

liont 09-08-2012 01:49 PM

I think the problem is that many do not know how to resize pictures.
I think a guide on the recommended "how many pixels X how many pixels" would be helpful.

BellaBoo 09-08-2012 02:38 PM

It's mostly plain laziness not to resize pictures. All you have to do is read instructions and with youtube you can see it done on just about every picture editing program there is. It is too simple to learn to do. Picasa is free and will do everything you need to a pic. Resize, edit, save in any format, upload to a free online storage, copy, crop, straighten, enhance, face recognition. It's an amazing program. Most don't know all you have to do is right click on an image/pic and select copy image. Then just right click and paste in the post. No need to upload.

My DD passed on many homes to buy because of no internet or cable access. New homes in new housing areas are not in internet coverage areas and the contractors are scratching their heads now that the younger couples won't buy in an area of no internet service. I can imagine how frustrating it is to not be able to get fast affordable unlimited internet coverage like most areas.

tucsonquilter 09-08-2012 02:57 PM

I thought the suggested size is 640 x 480. Is that still too large?

cat-on-a-mac 09-08-2012 03:32 PM

I"m not sure how to instruct anyone how to resize pictures, as there are so many different platforms that people use. I have a mac, and use iphoto. When I export a file from iphoto, I ask it to save the exported file as a JPEG, and say either medium or small. That usually gives me files that are less than 600MB in size. That size is fine. If you request "small", I think you get files less than 100MB .. that size is great for those of us that don't have broadband, but you can lose some detail in the pictures. Like, if someone wants to see EXACTLY how you quilted something, they may not have enough detail.

joyce888 09-08-2012 04:13 PM

I use Microsoft Paint to re-size my pics so I don't know if I'm an offender or not. Would it be possible to let the offenders know their pics are too large and need to be resized?

raedar63 09-08-2012 04:25 PM

I do not think it is " laziness" I am an educated professional, however,not educated in the ways of computer technology. I can literally save lives every day and assist in keeping a critically ill person alive untill I can get a doctor out of bed to come in and take over, but when it comes to figuring out files and such on a computer I am perhaps ignorant but not lazy.I have spent literally hours attempting to download things to devices such as Ipods, spent hours trying to find photos etc. In todays high tech lifestyle many take for granted that everyone knows their way around computers when that is simply not the case. It is just not as simple as not being lazy as you may think.

irishrose 09-08-2012 04:29 PM

My HP Image Zone makes mine a decent size, I think. I did have to resize one. I used Paint, but will try the Picasa site if it comes up again. I'd like to get some of my pics off my computer, so that sounds like good venue to use.

I don't think you'vre added my D9P or any others to you gallery, but if you do and they need resizing, let me know.

I don't want mine large.I don't want every mistake showing. LOL

barking-rabbit 09-08-2012 04:36 PM

I post pictures but have no idea if they are too big. They look fine when I view them on my iPad.