Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-buy-colour-printer-scanner-quilting-t176548.html)

QuiltE 01-22-2012 09:35 AM

Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

Oh wise Quilting Friends ... Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

I am SO not a computer-techno-geek ... so I am hoping you will help educate me on what I need to look for to make a good purchase! I haven't had a colour printer, nor a scanner, and have been quite happy with my laser printer. Yes, I am finally going to bite the bullet, mainly for quilting purposes.

So far this is what I've sussed out as important ... and what my intended uses for it will be ....
* colour
* individual colour/black ink cartridges
* 4 in 1 -- fax, copier, printer, scanner
* home/business office needs (I do contract work, so it will be used for business too)
* printing of free online quilt patterns!
* scanning of PC blocks etc for QB
* maybe print some photos? i.e. quilt pics for my quilting scrapbook (otherwise I don't take a lot of pictures)
* what else should I be looking for in selecting the "perfect" printer?

What do I look for to ensure the scanner does the job I want it to do for quilting?
And when else am I going to use the scanner?

What about all those resolution numbers for scanning and printing? Minimum? Ideal? At what point is it overkill and really something for a high end graphics artist?

What will I like/hate about the colour inkjet vs. my laser printer?

This is the one that geek-kid was pushing me to yesterday ...
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

I don't mind buying a printer that's a little better and will do me for future needs (in my business) ... though I don't want overkill !!!!

As you can tell, I need help with the specs on choosing the right one

I am looking forward to your input ... and appreciate it very much!! :)

romanojg 01-22-2012 09:39 AM

You can't go wrong if you go with a HP printer. It's the only one I'll own. I have an all in one now and it does great for pictures as well as everything else that I need. In all of my over 20 yrs of buying printers this is the only one thing that I'll be true to.

Lori S 01-22-2012 09:53 AM

Go with a laser for printing, its a bit more money up front , but uses alot less ink. Do note you can not use a laser printer for printing on fabric .

ghostrider 01-22-2012 09:55 AM

If you'll be wanting to print pics and/or labels on fabric, look at printers that will use pigment based ink cartridges, not just for the balck cartridge, but also for the color one(s). Epson and HP offer several, but not all, that do this.

You CAN use a laser printer for printing on fabric (though not on the packaged sheets) but the technique is slightly different. Do a search of topics on the subject, starting with this one. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...er-t83713.html

carolstickelmaier 01-22-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4899084)
Oh wise Quilting Friends ... Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

I am SO not a computer-techno-geek ... so I am hoping you will help educate me on what I need to look for to make a good purchase! I haven't had a colour printer, nor a scanner, and have been quite happy with my laser printer. Yes, I am finally going to bite the bullet, mainly for quilting purposes.

So far this is what I've sussed out as important ... and what my intended uses for it will be ....
* colour
* individual colour/black ink cartridges
* 4 in 1 -- fax, copier, printer, scanner
* home/business office needs (I do contract work, so it will be used for business too)
* printing of free online quilt patterns!
* scanning of PC blocks etc for QB
* maybe print some photos? i.e. quilt pics for my quilting scrapbook (otherwise I don't take a lot of pictures)
* what else should I be looking for in selecting the "perfect" printer?

What do I look for to ensure the scanner does the job I want it to do for quilting?
And when else am I going to use the scanner?

What about all those resolution numbers for scanning and printing? Minimum? Ideal? At what point is it overkill and really something for a high end graphics artist?

What will I like/hate about the colour inkjet vs. my laser printer?

This is the one that geek-kid was pushing me to yesterday ...
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

I don't mind buying a printer that's a little better and will do me for future needs (in my business) ... though I don't want overkill !!!!

As you can tell, I need help with the specs on choosing the right one

I am looking forward to your input ... and appreciate it very much!! :)

I'll be watching this post as I to want to know. carol

QuiltE 01-22-2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4899140)
If you'll be wanting to print pics and/or labels on fabric, look at printers that will use pigment based ink cartridges, not just for the balck cartridge, but also for the color one(s). Epson and HP offer several, but not all, that do this.You CAN use a laser printer for printing on fabric (though not on the packaged sheets) but the technique is slightly different. Do a search of topics on the subject, starting with this one. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...er-t83713.html

Yes, Yes YES!!!! definitely I would want to do labels with this new printer.Thanks for reminding me ... I wouldn't want to buy one and then discover I'm not able to do that. YIKES!!!What do you mean by pigment based cartridges? ... and will it say it on the package?I know he said the cartridges were "oil based" for the one he showed me.I'm going to go and check out that thread ... Thanks!And is there anything else, that I have forgotten that my quilting needs might affect in this purchase scenario?? :)

Krisb 01-22-2012 11:38 AM

You won't go wrong with an HP. And you don't need to spend over about $70 US for a 4 in 1 Photosmart.

QuiltE 01-22-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 4899453)
You won't go wrong with an HP. And you don't need to spend over about $70 US for a 4 in 1 Photosmart.

At this point I'm more interested in spec requirements.

We can get lots of low cost ones here too ... though I have to think of the consumables and their ongoing costs.

Brands/Models and $$$$ will sort themselves out once I know what I am looking for.

Besides I'm in Canada and for those in other parts of the world to benefit as well, we have different possibilities and $ amounts are really not relevant. It only frustrates us!

JeanieG 01-22-2012 12:15 PM

I really like the 2 sided copy feature on mine. It saves so much paper. I would not have another one that did not do the 2 sided!

QandE2010 01-22-2012 12:25 PM

I have used a HP, EPSOM, BROTHERS, an KODAK 4 in 1 and I have had good luck with all of them. (That being said, no matter what the brand, you can get a dude sometimes. Take your wish list into the store and tell them a printer needs to meet these specs, then ask the clerk to suggest a couple. Good luck. Like someone said, you can get one for a reasonable price. You'll also want to take the cost of the ink cartridges into your decision. Doesn't make sense to get an inexpensive printer and find that the ink is outrageously expensive.