Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-buy-colour-printer-scanner-quilting-t176548.html)

GrandmaSewNSew 01-22-2012 07:53 PM

I had several HP printers but went with the hype I saw a bought a Canon. Big mistake as it just ate ink and didn't last. Unfortunately because of the ink issue I didn't use it that much so it was not under warranty. It is now just a doorstop. I bought another HP (Photosmart Premium) and am very happy with it. I can say that I'm happy with this brand. This printer does all I need it to do and I think it meets all of your needs.

toadmomma 01-23-2012 03:41 AM

I just went and bought one sat. as I had abeen fighting with my epson for months now and it wouldnt print finally and just dump ink. went to Best buys and the hp rep was there, told him what i wanted and got a photosmart, love it it was user friendly to install, plays well with vista inks can be bought seperately, and also small size or larger size of each, my requirment was also that it had to beable to reduce and enlarge, which it does. love it. was $129 with tax.. wished i had done it sooner, and the picture printing was incredible, my husband could not believe I had printed it it looked like a postcard. cant wait to try on fabric.

gailinva 01-23-2012 05:10 AM

also can't use laser for freezer paper copying (paper pieced patterns)

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4899133)
Go with a laser for printing, its a bit more money up front , but uses alot less ink. Do note you can not use a laser printer for printing on fabric .

jad1044 01-23-2012 05:55 AM

I too was looking for a good printer for quilting - I went to Staples and found one - thanks to a very knowledgeable young man who knew exactly what I needed, and I love it -

It is an HP official Pro 8500 A910. It has individual inks - and the print you get out of the machine is better than the picture you put in to print with the scanner! It gives amazing detail and color - I would highly recommend one of these to anyone - and it has all the bells and whistles and if you watch the sales for Stapeles, they do have them on sale at times - and if you take your old printer in to trade it (what good is it anymore) you can get $50 off your new one - and watch for coupons too. They also take old ink cartridges - up to 10 at a time. So, it's a way to recycle - and you get a great deal all at once; not to mention if you have problems with anything you purchase from them they have a great backup tech service. Mine costed me $199. and I had no trade-in - coupon - just the sale it was at at the time. But, once I knew all this other stuff, I could have gotten more off the final price. So, go prepared to "make a deal".

You can also sign up online for their weekly ad where they send you specials now and then also - I enjoy their sales.

Rose Marie 01-23-2012 06:04 AM

I have a cheap HP all in one that used way to much ink and is now dead. It didnt last long.
Im back to my old HP deskjet that only prints, no scanner.
Now that Kodak went bankrupt will have to do some research to find one that dosnt cost a fortune for ink.

judi wess 01-23-2012 06:08 AM

A printer I want, want, want, prints as big as 13x17 inch paper. Would be so great for paper foundation piecing. It is EQ compatable too. Can't seem to find it on the HP site but I know they make it, my former boss had one in his office!!!

lakekids 01-23-2012 06:58 AM

You might want to consider a wide format printer (prints up to 13 inches wide). I like this to allow me to print paper piecing patterns for large blocks, quilting designs and 12 inch scrap book pages.

lillybeck 01-23-2012 08:00 AM

I use brother printers and I like them. I get great color and it has individual color packs so you do not have to change them all when one is out.My latest in MFC J410W. Love it and it was only 129

ghostrider 01-23-2012 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by gailinva (Post 4901647)
also can't use laser for freezer paper copying (paper pieced patterns)

Maybe not for printing on just the freezer paper, but you can run fabric on freezer paper through a laser printer with no trouble. http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...les/58811.aspx

Evie 01-23-2012 08:50 AM

Whatever printer you decide to get, make sure it's compatible with your computer. Ask the "geek" to check that the printer's drivers match those of your computer! When my computer died last year and needed replacing, I also had to get a new printer (still working and only about six years old) because the drivers in it would not be compatible with the new computer. Technology moves way too fast!