Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please Help Me Choose a New Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-choose-new-ironing-board-t156963.html)

muddlingabout 10-01-2011 07:26 AM

So now that I have told the story about winning the Polder ironing board - of course I still have it and truly love it. The legs are good, adjustable height. It is fairly lightweight for folding and toting to the closet. It has the mesh grid top which is great for those times when using heavy steam. It also has an little rack on the wide end for holding the iron in a semi-upright position as well as a spot for a spray bottle. Don't know if Polder stilll makes that model, but it has served me well. I do use a sleeve board for smaller applications.

wvdek 10-01-2011 07:32 AM

I have my mothers old ironing board from the 60's. It is very sturdy and of course adjustable heightwise. Needs a new top, but haven't gotten there yet. I now use it to iron clothes only.

I picked up a mesh adjustable one from Goodwill that looks brand new for $1.50. Washed it down, made new top for it and love it for all the steam I use. For all my sewing needs

I also have a Rowenta and love it.

patdesign 10-01-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
So now that I have told the story about winning the Polder ironing board - of course I still have it and truly love it. The legs are good, adjustable height. It is fairly lightweight for folding and toting to the closet. It has the mesh grid top which is great for those times when using heavy steam. It also has an little rack on the wide end for holding the iron in a semi-upright position as well as a spot for a spray bottle. Don't know if Polder stilll makes that model, but it has served me well. I do use a sleeve board for smaller applications.

Polder is the one I ended up with after I gave away my oldie but goodie to my son. Was the best of the lot 2 years ago, except for the pop when it expands and gets uneven. I probably should have taken it back, but by the time I discovered the problem, I had removed and tossed the unwashable cover and lost the ticket at the store. Funny story about the winning of an iron board and iron.

rosalia856 10-01-2011 08:31 AM

I have two old ironing boards. one the narrow end folds up and makes it flat across shich is wonderful for quilts. The other is one my grandmother had and it is a normal one. The reason I love both of them is that I have yet to find one today that is constructed as well. These don't wobble. I actually found one at a garage sale for $2 for my friend. You just cant beat them . I also have a wooden one that my friend found at a house she bought and it is better than the new ones today. Happy hunting. I am sure you will find the right one for you.

auniqueview 10-01-2011 09:43 AM

Huh...my ironing board is wooden, and sturdy like nobody's business. We actually used it to roll my motorcycle up onto a pickup truck bed. So I couldn't advise you on a new board, because I am NEVER giving this one up, lol.

I have a small table top board, too, that I used for small items, quick touchup, etc.

Morag 10-01-2011 09:55 AM

I have two ironing boards. One is built into the wall and can be pulled down when I need it. I have another small portable I can carry around with me. They are not mesh however but work fine with my Rowenta. I looooooove that iron. It is heavy and steams or dry presses great. I have had it for 20 years and it is still going strong:)

Anna O 10-01-2011 10:23 AM

If it is for quilting, find the biggest board you can!

Quilterfay 10-01-2011 10:54 AM

I have a very old ironing board and I would never purchase a new one as they are not anywhere as sturdy as the old ones. The old ones are way heavier but they done wobble like the new ones I have tried.

My husband made me a large top to go on my old ironing board and it works wonders. When I do iron clothes (not often) I do it on that large board and have no problems.

sherian 10-01-2011 10:59 AM

Like your wolf quilt, I am making my husband one now out of same material. His is for his recliner.
Ops! wrong spot!

lewisl 10-01-2011 11:41 AM

I'd forgotten this but am reminded that a few years ago in our Costco there was a display of an ironing "system" that cost around $1,200 or $1,300 or something like that--had a reservoir iron and an ironing board. There were two guys demonstrating it and I asked one of them if they'd sold any in the three days they'd been there and he said "one". I passed on it.