Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help. peeling the backing paper off of a Printed Treasures sheet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-peeling-backing-paper-off-printed-treasures-sheet-t308555.html)

Sailorwoman 12-11-2019 10:42 AM

Please help. peeling the backing paper off of a Printed Treasures sheet

Has anyone out there had any luck peeling the backing paper off of a Printed Treasures sheet? I have just printed a label for a quilt. It fed through the printer with no problem, and it looks great. The only problem is that I cannot remove the sticky paper. When I try to peel the paper off, I only get a fraction of an inch of it off and then it shreds. I have lightly pressed it with a warm iron; I started at a corner; I started at the middle of an edge; I said some very nice words to it and then some not so nice words. Nothing is helping. I am thinking of soaking it in hot water. I can't use the label how it is, so even if it is ruined, I won't be any worse off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

QuiltE 12-11-2019 11:40 AM

hhhmmmm .... were you having problems before you pressed it?
I used to fight getting the backing off, and eventually discovered I had created the problem
when I pressed it before removing the paper.

Wonder? what help you may get by contacting Printed Treasures directly?

Good Luck in getting this sorted out!

JustRetired 12-11-2019 12:15 PM

Did you use a laser printer? That will fuse it, you can only use an ink jet printer for these.

Tartan 12-11-2019 12:32 PM

​If it is paper on the back that won’t come off, soak it until the paper gets soggy. Lay it out flat on a surface and rub your hand over the paper. It should start to roll off in little bits. Repeat until it is pliable enough to use after drying.

Sailorwoman 12-11-2019 02:00 PM

I did use an ink jet printer and I couldn't get the backing off even before I pressed it. I did get in touch with Printed Treasures. They reiterated that I should press with a warm iron and if that didn't work, I probably have an older package that came out before the "improved" sheets. I think I will soak the little sucker and then try to scrape off the paper. I will not let it win! Thank you all for your suggestion.

QuiltE 12-11-2019 02:15 PM

Great News ... that you got a quick response from PT.

Bad News ... that they weren't a little more encouraging!

Good News ... you are not letting that little sucker get the better of you! :D
For you are woman ... and you will win!!

juliasb 12-11-2019 03:05 PM

Just don't let this one end up in the UFO stack. Please let us know when you are successful.

Sailorwoman 12-11-2019 04:16 PM

I just soaked it for about 20 min. in fairly hot water with a splash of Retayne and it came off very easily. I think from now on I will just skip the peel off attempt and go straight to soak. We do manage to prevail, don't we? Thanks again, all.

kdoublea 12-13-2019 07:00 AM

Peeling Paper off Printed Treasures

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman (Post 8339217)
I just soaked it for about 20 min. in fairly hot water with a splash of Retayne and it came off very easily. I think from now on I will just skip the peel off attempt and go straight to soak. We do manage to prevail, don't we? Thanks again, all.

I'm glad to hear you found a solution to the problem, but I have to admit I used to have the same issues and that is exactly why I switched to using the EQ Printables brand - their backing is a sort of acetate sheet which goes through the printer just fine and peels off very easily - try it next time you need to buy a package

cashs_mom 12-13-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8339094)
hhhmmmm .... were you having problems before you pressed it?
I used to fight getting the backing off, and eventually discovered I had created the problem
when I pressed it before removing the paper.

Wonder? what help you may get by contacting Printed Treasures directly?

Good Luck in getting this sorted out!

I was thinking the same thing. I've never pressed mine before peeling. I've had a bit of trouble getting the backing paper started to peel off, but once it was started it came right off.

I agree. Contact Printed Treasures.