Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-t97658.html)

MadQuilter 02-07-2011 03:30 PM

Just to clarify: Are you saying that the outside borders are 6" too short in one direction? So you want to add one pinwheel at the end of each outside border? You only need to add 2 pinwheels total? (Sorry - I am symmetrical thinker and I would have to take those borders off and add pinwheels in EACH of the 4 corners - but that is just me).

It sounds like MTS' instructions are spot on. You need your HSTs to be 3.5" (unfinished). WHat method do you plan to use to make the HSTs?

When you sew the 3.5" HSTs together, then you will lose 1/2" in the center (3.5 + 3.5 - .5 = 6.5) When all of the HSTs have been sewn into a pinwheel block, it will be 6.5" That needs to be added to your border.

MTS, she said that the border is cut 6.5".

MTS 02-07-2011 03:30 PM

So you CUT the borders 6.5", right?

It's an easy question.

MTS 02-07-2011 03:32 PM

I'm outta here.

sewingsuz 02-07-2011 03:40 PM

You guys are making me tired. I can do math but not on the board. HA HA I read it all.

Berta48 02-07-2011 03:56 PM

Sorry to have confused evryone.But I think I got it.I will just cut them down to make them fit!

Man this is cunfusing to me.Now I have everyone else confused too.I"m sorry.

I use two squares the same size and sew around the four edges and cut diagonally both directions to make my pinwheels.I needed to know what size to make the two squares. But as I said I will just make them and cut them down.I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing that.Just a newbie LOL

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Berta48 02-07-2011 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Just to clarify: Are you saying that the outside borders are 6" too short in one direction? So you want to add one pinwheel at the end of each outside border? You only need to add 2 pinwheels total? (Sorry - I am symmetrical thinker and I would have to take those borders off and add pinwheels in EACH of the 4 corners - but that is just me).

It sounds like MTS' instructions are spot on. You need your HSTs to be 3.5" (unfinished). WHat method do you plan to use to make the HSTs?

When you sew the 3.5" HSTs together, then you will lose 1/2" in the center (3.5 + 3.5 - .5 = 6.5) When all of the HSTs have been sewn into a pinwheel block, it will be 6.5" That needs to be added to your border.

MTS, she said that the border is cut 6.5".

I need to put a pinwheel in all four corners for clarity! Thanks. :thumbup:

MTS 02-07-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Berta48
I use two squares the same size and sew around the four edges and cut diagonally both directions to make my pinwheels.I needed to know what size to make the two squares.

Why, why , why would you do the HST's that way?

That puts BIAS on every single edge of the small blocks, and the larger pinwheel block.

Now I'm really outta here.

Berta48 02-07-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

Originally Posted by Berta48
I use two squares the same size and sew around the four edges and cut diagonally both directions to make my pinwheels.I needed to know what size to make the two squares.

Why, why , why would you do the HST's that way?

That puts BIAS on every single edge of the small blocks, and the larger pinwheel block.

Now I'm really outta here.

Sorry if it upsets you about how I do pinwheels but I learned it on Missouri Star Quilt company and it is very easy that way.

I just couldn't figure out what size to make the two squares.But I got it finally anyway thanks to the patient ladies on here.

Berta48 02-07-2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
If you trim your oversize pinwheels by taking the same anount off all outside edges, you'll be fine. Bigger is better with forgiving patterns.

Moonpi
Thanks your idea worked wonderfully!!!! :thumbup:

Holice 02-07-2011 08:44 PM

make them much larger and cut to size.