Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please recommend permanent fabric marker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-recommend-permanent-fabric-marker-t263203.html)

elnan 03-27-2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 (Post 7142841)
Can you recommend a marker that's really permanent? Thanks!

I tried the test that Freckled Whimsey showed on her blog. All those Sharpies in beautiful colors that I bought did not pass the washing test, even though I had heat-set everything. The winner for me was Crayola Fabric Markers. Don't get the ones that say "washable", that means they wash out. I iron a piece of freezer paper on the back before writing. The same piece of freezer paper gets used over and over until it does not cling. Two years ago we helped 4-H campers make a quilt that each one drew and wrote on a square of muslin with the crayola fabric markers. I won the quilt in a raffle and promptly put it through the washer and dryer. It came out looking just as bright as it went in.

dluvs2quilt 03-27-2015 04:40 PM

I been thinking of buying Tulip Fabric Markers, has anybody tried them??

Evie 03-27-2015 04:51 PM

I've been using these Pentel Arts Gel Roller Pen for Fabric with great success. I got my two-packs from Joann's several months ago (much cheaper than the Amazon price). However, I note now that Joann's is only carrying the single pen, online only for $2.79.

KenmoreGal2 03-27-2015 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 7143642)
The winner for me was Crayola Fabric Markers.

Funny.....I think I have those too. I have a lot of markers in my house!

KenmoreGal2 03-28-2015 12:11 PM

OK, I've washed and dried my test pieces of fabric. I only tested the Sharpie and the Bic permanent marker since that's what I had at the time. I ironed them before washing them and line dried them. They all came out just fine, but I think the Bic was a bit sharper (no pun intended). It was a decidedly unscientific test though...

I have to dig around for the Crayola markers that I know I had at one time.

citruscountyquilter 03-29-2015 02:37 AM

I like Pigma pens. I use a high thread count white cotton that I've been able to find at quilt and fabric shops. I haven't looked for it at places like JoAnn's etc so don't know about there. I put the fabric on freezer paper for stability when writing.

pmonaghen 03-29-2015 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 (Post 7142841)
I think I'd like to begin making handwritten labels for my items. Can you recommend a marker that's really permanent? Thanks!

I like thePentel Gel ROller for fabric...writes smoothly....have used for several "signature" quilts, as well as lables...I bought them (2 in a package) at Hobby Lobby..$4.99

imsewnso 03-29-2015 04:38 AM

If you treat the fabric first with Bubble Jet, you can use most any pen and it will not wash out.

KenmoreGal2 03-29-2015 06:42 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. It seems there are many acceptable options!

mjhaess 03-29-2015 06:48 AM

I like the pigma pens...