Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please tell me about the Bernina BSR?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-tell-me-about-bernina-bsr-t247331.html)

Sailorwoman 05-24-2014 01:02 PM

Please tell me about the Bernina BSR??

I am very interested in Bernina sewing machines, primarily because of the BSR. Can anyone tell me if this helps while FMQ? My biggest problem is getting my stitches a uniform size and if this helps, the cost could well be worth it to me.

jamsbuying 05-24-2014 01:27 PM

I use the BSR with my 630e and while I am not always perfect, it does help me regulate my stitch. Sometimes I sew too fast and it beeps at me to slow down! I purchased it when I decided to try free-motion quilting and have always used it, so cannot compare it to 'not' using it. I like mine...

Terri D. 05-24-2014 01:43 PM

Back when Bernina released the BSR, I went to the dealer to test drive it. After playing with it for about an hour, my opinion was, and there will be others who disagree, that this attachment was much ado about nothing.

I went home and practiced some more and learned how to free motion quilt without it, saving myself a bunch of money in the process.

Tartan 05-24-2014 02:24 PM

I have the BSR on my 440. It helps prevent micro stitches for me. The BSR for me has been like training wheels on a bike. It has giving me the confidence to sometimes go BSR free.

franc36 05-24-2014 02:34 PM

I bought a BRS for my Artista 200 as soon as it came out. I love the BRS and, to me, it has been worth the cost. My Free motion stitches are always a uniform size. Unlike Jamsbuying, I am a slow FMQ and have never gotten a beep to slow down. The BSR probably wants me to speed up. I use the BSR for most of my stitching in the ditch. It did take practice before I was pleased with my FMQ.

RipStitcher 05-24-2014 02:38 PM

I have a Bernina 550QE in layby "jail" that I need to bail out one of these days...

It will be my first Bernina (and I'm not parting with my other babies to get it, either.. lol) ...

And the two reasons I went with this machine was 1) to mess with the BSR and 2) I wanted the skinny footsies (it's only a 5.5mm wide stitch width machine). I do alot of putzy projects - and I prefer a skinnier foot - and thought the BSR might be fun for some embellishing.

I also wanted it for a take-to-retreats machine. My main machine here these days is a behemoth (Babylock Ellisimo Gold)

dunster 05-24-2014 02:45 PM

I bought the 440QE and learned to FMQ with the BSR. I loved it! Now I have a longarm so the BSR doesn't get much use (only if there's something tiny to quilt) but I still love it.

Cam's gram 05-24-2014 03:11 PM

I have the BSR and love it. It has helped me tremendously. One of the reasons I bought a HQ longarm is because the stitch regular felt very similar to the Bernia

ManiacQuilter2 05-24-2014 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. (Post 6729758)
Back when Bernina released the BSR, I went to the dealer to test drive it. After playing with it for about an hour, my opinion was, and there will be others who disagree, that this attachment was much ado about nothing.

I went home and practiced some more and learned how to free motion quilt without it, saving myself a bunch of money in the process.

I agree with Terri D. I already owned two Bernina when they finally came out with the BSR. I wasn't impressed. I did better on my own with FMQ. I believe the attachment is a little pricey.

Sandra-P 05-24-2014 03:23 PM

I got a Bernina 550 QE with the BSR. Love it so much that I have two of them. One for our home here in NM and one for our condo in Florida.