Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please tell me you use poly/cotton for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-tell-me-you-use-poly-cotton-t203877.html)

deedum 10-21-2012 04:41 PM

Please tell me you use poly/cotton for?

I have had a bit of this given to me now and again. I don't know what to do with poly/cotton other than pass it on to someone. Am I missing something? What do you do with it? I know not to put it in a quilt.

ckcowl 10-21-2012 04:49 PM

are you talking about cotton/poly fabric? or batting? or thread?...
people use cotton/poly blends all the time---yes even in quilts---
it wears like steel- is great for kids quilts, utility quilts that will be used/abused/ laundered often-
some people love using it
it can also be used for home dec items, table toppers, runners, placemats, curtains/drapes
if you simply don't like the fabric you can always donate it or pass it on .

Toni C 10-21-2012 04:52 PM

Sure you can. Now just remember that it will not shrink like the cotton. Also it's a little slicker to work with and doesn't hold a crease worth a darn.Remember almost all quilts were made of scraps. That also includes polyester quilts. (My DH got a top make from his Granny made of that)

Teddybear Lady 10-21-2012 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371570[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5602446)
I have had a bit of this given to me now and again. I don't know what to do with poly/cotton other than pass it on to someone. Am I missing something? What do you do with it? I know not to put it in a quilt.

I don't know if the picture will post right but I've made a throw that goes on my bed in the summer time. It's not quilted but I think it looks light and summery. It's made from old "double knit" or polyester that we all used to wear. Hot stuff to wear.
Debbie

deedum 10-21-2012 05:14 PM

I guess I should of said poly cotton fabric. Wow, I didn't know I could use it in quilts though. Interesting. Glad I asked. Thanks.

deedum 10-21-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 5602493)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371570[/ATTACH]

I don't know if the picture will post right but I've made a throw that goes on my bed in the summer time. It's not quilted but I think it looks light and summery. It's made from old "double knit" or polyester that we all used to wear. Hot stuff to wear.
Debbie

Yes, I have double knit and I really like it. I have some double knit quilts and so sooo warm! I just didn't know I could use polycotton fabric in a quilt. I understand to wash the other fabric first so everything is preshunk.

COYOTEMAGIC 10-21-2012 05:19 PM

Shurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, you can use anything to make a quilt. Poly/cotten, denim, corrdoruy, I even used a poly knit as the foundation for a crazy quilt.

Pat625 10-21-2012 05:29 PM

I have used poly/cotton blends in quilts..Just be careful not to mix with cotton in case of uneven shrinkage..Enjoy your fabric!!

bluteddi 10-21-2012 05:38 PM

I"m shameful... I use anything and eveything ( try to keep like fabrics in the same quilt due to shrinkish issues) and the Veterans love them all......

Lori S 10-21-2012 06:02 PM

I use them in quilts! But the higher the poly content the less likely I am to use it on the top.. just because of the pressing issues. But I use them( the higher poly blends) on backings. There was a time when poly was all the rage and 100 percent cotton was not easily found in a good assortment of prints.. and yep I had to mix.