Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please tell me you use poly/cotton for?

Please tell me you use poly/cotton for?

I have had a bit of this given to me now and again. I don't know what to do with poly/cotton other than pass it on to someone. Am I missing something? What do you do with it? I know not to put it in a quilt.

Blog Entries
    are you talking about cotton/poly fabric? or batting? or thread?...
    people use cotton/poly blends all the time---yes even in quilts---
    it wears like steel- is great for kids quilts, utility quilts that will be used/abused/ laundered often-
    some people love using it
    it can also be used for home dec items, table toppers, runners, placemats, curtains/drapes
    if you simply don't like the fabric you can always donate it or pass it on .
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Sure you can. Now just remember that it will not shrink like the cotton. Also it's a little slicker to work with and doesn't hold a crease worth a darn.Remember almost all quilts were made of scraps. That also includes polyester quilts. (My DH got a top make from his Granny made of that)

Name:  100_2187.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  1.04 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    I have had a bit of this given to me now and again. I don't know what to do with poly/cotton other than pass it on to someone. Am I missing something? What do you do with it? I know not to put it in a quilt.
    I don't know if the picture will post right but I've made a throw that goes on my bed in the summer time. It's not quilted but I think it looks light and summery. It's made from old "double knit" or polyester that we all used to wear. Hot stuff to wear.
    Debbie

I guess I should of said poly cotton fabric. Wow, I didn't know I could use it in quilts though. Interesting. Glad I asked. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
    Name:  100_2187.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  1.04 MB

I don't know if the picture will post right but I've made a throw that goes on my bed in the summer time. It's not quilted but I think it looks light and summery. It's made from old "double knit" or polyester that we all used to wear. Hot stuff to wear.
    Debbie
    Yes, I have double knit and I really like it. I have some double knit quilts and so sooo warm! I just didn't know I could use polycotton fabric in a quilt. I understand to wash the other fabric first so everything is preshunk.

Blog Entries
    Shurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, you can use anything to make a quilt. Poly/cotten, denim, corrdoruy, I even used a poly knit as the foundation for a crazy quilt.

I have used poly/cotton blends in quilts..Just be careful not to mix with cotton in case of uneven shrinkage..Enjoy your fabric!!

I"m shameful... I use anything and eveything ( try to keep like fabrics in the same quilt due to shrinkish issues) and the Veterans love them all......

I use them in quilts! But the higher the poly content the less likely I am to use it on the top.. just because of the pressing issues. But I use them( the higher poly blends) on backings. There was a time when poly was all the rage and 100 percent cotton was not easily found in a good assortment of prints.. and yep I had to mix.

The only reason I don't use Poly cotton Is you don't get that crinkle soft look after its washed like you do 100% cotton, because it does not shrink.

Sure...just don't mix 100% cotton with the poly cotton...they just don't wear the same. I have made kids quilts with the poly/cotton and they are still around 30 years later.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I use this all of the time. You know before the revolution of all cotton ideas we used whatever material we had. Use it in quilts, to make toys, for crafts. There are any things you can do with this fabric. I just repaired a quilt that I made for one of my neices over 20 yrs. ago and it is polycotton.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Also when using your iron, don't use the cotton setting it's too hot for the poly/cotton mix.