Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pls help suggestions to use this fabric!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pls-help-suggestions-use-fabric-t150586.html)

Vanuatu Jill 09-05-2011 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
Thanks!

TanyaL 09-05-2011 09:49 AM

I think this fabric is fantastic! Combine it with some real suede and make an absolutely up town sophisticated bag. The humor is priceless, and the negative spaces make the images stand out - I love everything about it.

par4theday 09-05-2011 09:52 AM

Since you only have one yard, I would use it in a quilt for a teen. Maybe centers of the blocks so you can see the characters. If you want to hide it in a scrappy quilt, go to Bonnie Hunters Quiltville.com sight. The Ohio Star has a nice center square in the middle.

par4theday 09-05-2011 09:55 AM

I also agree with TanyaL on the idea of making a bag with it. That will make a nice bag.

Butterfli19 09-05-2011 10:33 AM

I wouldn't cut it up either - I think it's really fun fabric! If you aren't sure about the suede but you like the bag idea, use 2 or 3 other fabrics and make a top and bottom border. You can make a beach bag, grocery tote, travel bag, lunch bag, handbag, book bag, or quilty stuff tote bag! You could also fussy cut a couple of the totems and use them for the bag handles.

Vanuatu Jill 09-05-2011 10:42 AM

Good ideas! I have several bag patterns I have been gathering, including the famous "Bow Tuck" which I am in love with, but have never made a bag/purse before - in fact, really not done anything but quilts and a few Xmas tree ornaments. I like the idea of a tote! It won't be my taste, so I will probably give it to someone if it comes out nice!

sushi 09-05-2011 11:00 AM

Cool fabric! How 'bout combining it with some other tropical prints (e.g., palm leaves, tropical flowers). Be sure to keep the pieces large enough in whatever pattern you choose that the viewer can still see the carvings.

needles3thread 09-05-2011 01:19 PM

It will be an original & people will want one like it, I bet.

Vanuatu Jill 09-05-2011 01:42 PM

Actually, if it comes out nice as a purse/bag, I might just use it in Vanuatu myself! I could get away with it there. Actually, these are Hawaiian Tikis, in Vanuatu their carved totems are called "TamTams".

GrannieAnnie 09-05-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
Thanks!

Save it for this year's ugly fabric contest!

tee hee