Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Pls help suggestions to use this fabric!!

  1. #1
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bosque County, Texas
    Posts
    2,705
    I think this fabric is fantastic! Combine it with some real suede and make an absolutely up town sophisticated bag. The humor is priceless, and the negative spaces make the images stand out - I love everything about it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member par4theday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    in Idaho
    Posts
    543
    Since you only have one yard, I would use it in a quilt for a teen. Maybe centers of the blocks so you can see the characters. If you want to hide it in a scrappy quilt, go to Bonnie Hunters Quiltville.com sight. The Ohio Star has a nice center square in the middle.

  4. #4
    Senior Member par4theday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    in Idaho
    Posts
    543
    I also agree with TanyaL on the idea of making a bag with it. That will make a nice bag.

  5. #5
    Super Member Butterfli19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,074
    I wouldn't cut it up either - I think it's really fun fabric! If you aren't sure about the suede but you like the bag idea, use 2 or 3 other fabrics and make a top and bottom border. You can make a beach bag, grocery tote, travel bag, lunch bag, handbag, book bag, or quilty stuff tote bag! You could also fussy cut a couple of the totems and use them for the bag handles.

  6. #6
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good ideas! I have several bag patterns I have been gathering, including the famous "Bow Tuck" which I am in love with, but have never made a bag/purse before - in fact, really not done anything but quilts and a few Xmas tree ornaments. I like the idea of a tote! It won't be my taste, so I will probably give it to someone if it comes out nice!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Snowy Minnesota
    Posts
    1,352
    Cool fabric! How 'bout combining it with some other tropical prints (e.g., palm leaves, tropical flowers). Be sure to keep the pieces large enough in whatever pattern you choose that the viewer can still see the carvings.

  8. #8
    Super Member needles3thread's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,367
    It will be an original & people will want one like it, I bet.

  9. #9
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Actually, if it comes out nice as a purse/bag, I might just use it in Vanuatu myself! I could get away with it there. Actually, these are Hawaiian Tikis, in Vanuatu their carved totems are called "TamTams".

  10. #10
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Save it for this year's ugly fabric contest!

    tee hee

  11. #11
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Save it for this year's ugly fabric contest!

    Yes, that is what I first thought! But, believe me, I have one worse-even worse than last years that I posted (IF that is even possible!) LOL

    tee hee

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    new york state
    Posts
    4,611
    Blog Entries
    2
    A bag came to mind here to. or even use it for a lining in a purse.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine-ly Florida
    Posts
    3,809
    Fussy cut it, make wallhanging and name it "Not that for supper?" I'm not sure but let us know what you decide on.

  14. #14
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,845
    Blog Entries
    31
    How about a OBW..wall hanging? I think it would look great with Dark brown or black.

  15. #15
    Senior Member A1penny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island/Beechhurst, NY
    Posts
    891
    Yikes, it is hilarious! I like the bag idea......but it would be stolen in a flash! However, you could certainly identify it if you caught the mugger!
    Actually, no kidding, it would make a great, very unusual bag.
    I love that you bought something so unique!

  16. #16
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    How about a OBW..wall hanging? I think it would look great with Dark brown or black.
    It probably would, but I have never made one before, and got a really beautiful large floral print to try one-it's still sitting waiting patiently in my stash!! Good suggestions, though!

  17. #17
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Fussy cut it, make wallhanging and name it "Not that for supper?" I'm not sure but let us know what you decide on.
    Cute idea!

  18. #18
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,953
    Blog Entries
    2
    My husband said to put it out at Halloween to scare away the ghosts. BrendaK

  19. #19
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK
    My husband said to put it out at Halloween to scare away the ghosts. BrendaK
    LOL! He may be right!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Frankfort, Illinois
    Posts
    51
    I would use it as an applique fabric. it looks like there is plenty of space between each design. you could get alot of blocks do it this was

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.