Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Poly/cotton fabrics - what do you use them for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/poly-cotton-fabrics-what-do-you-use-them-t152387.html)

bearisgray 09-12-2011 02:22 PM

One can do a burn test to see if the fabric contains a synthetic:

One only needs a piece of fabric about 1/4 inch wide by about 1 inch long - doesn't take much

Hold it with tweezers in a flame - I prefer a lighted candle - make sure that you have an ashtray and a glass of water handy

If it is synthetic, it will burn with black smoke and leave either a crispy or gooey ash.. The residue stays hot for a long time, even after the fire is out.

All cotton burns with only a little smoke, and leaves a very powdery, soft ash.

Jennifer22206 09-12-2011 02:24 PM

I've used them in quilts (they hold up so well), bags, totes and table runners

Glassquilt 09-12-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
If it is synthetic, it will burn with black smoke and leave either a crispy or gooey ash.. The residue stays hot for a long time, even after the fire is out.

And sometimes it can be like a small knob of plastic.

deedum 09-12-2011 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I know we quilters just love our cotton fabrics... but do you have any poly/cotton fabrics? And if so, what have you been using them for?

I use poly cotton for whatever strikes my fancy. I don't follow rules easily!

Glad to know someone else doesn't follow rules easily, I make mine up as I go!

barking-rabbit 09-12-2011 08:15 PM

I use them for gift bags.

damaquilts 09-13-2011 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
I prefer polycotton for garment making (skirts & shirts). Reduces ironing needs.

The "feel" counts very much, though!

Me too. I would love to be able to find more for my dresses.

MerryQuilter 09-13-2011 04:26 AM

Pretty much gave any might have had away. Don't even like to wear any poly anything, and hate the smell of ironing that fabric.

sguillot 09-13-2011 05:02 AM

I recently donated a big box of double knit that was my Mothers. She made many quilts from double knit but at one of the quilt shops a local quilt guild ask for donations to make hats for cancer patients. That what I wanted for that fabric and I know my Mom loved that I donated them to such a worthy cause.

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I know we quilters just love our cotton fabrics... but do you have any poly/cotton fabrics? And if so, what have you been using them for?

grumpy90650 09-13-2011 05:39 AM

i use it for backing, mug rugs, table runners, bibs for the grand kids, for the small projects i do

Aurora 09-13-2011 05:58 AM

Once in a while I purchase a T-shirt that has a small amount of Poly in it because it is a color I need. Other than that, I never purchase anything with Poly in it. I guess I am just "a cotton snob". I took all my Poly fabric to Goodwill in the 90's and never looked back.