Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Poly/cotton fabrics - what do you use them for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/poly-cotton-fabrics-what-do-you-use-them-t152387.html)

hoofmaiden 09-13-2011 06:24 AM

Memory quilt of my clothing sewing projects using the scraps.

FroggyinTexas 09-13-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I know we quilters just love our cotton fabrics... but do you have any poly/cotton fabrics? And if so, what have you been using them for?

I love poly/cotton fabrics for pillowcases. They don't wrinkle, never fade and wear like iron. I also use poly/cotton in quilts because the colors are vibrant and don't fade. I no longer buy 100 percent cotton sheets because even the 350 count high dollar sheets (1) wrinkle (2) shrink and (3) fade. froggyintexs

mojo11 09-13-2011 08:26 AM

I don't use it or buy it. Doesn't cooperate when sewing with it. Won't hold folds, is slippery, can't iron out mistakes, and it is hot to wear. Just my opinion.

Polliwog 09-13-2011 08:26 AM

Very good advice from your fellow quilters. Will only add that if I use leftover poly-cotton, I don't mix it with 100% cotton. They wash, shrink, fade so differently it isn't worth my time and effort to mix them up in a project. They are especially good for placemats and napkins. Use poly batting if needed.

Pickle 09-13-2011 11:01 AM

I am with you. Sew with what you have and just enjoy the process.

FroggyinTexas 09-13-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Faren
What if you aren't sure if it is a poly blend or not? I am a fairly new sewer and need an easy way to tell.

Two easy ways: (1) Take a corner of the fabric in your hand and wad it up as tightly as you can. If it is wrinkled when you let it go, it is 99 percent certain that it's cotton. If it isn't wrinkled it's 99 percent certain that it's blend.

If you want to live dangerously:

(2) Cut a swatch of fabric big enough to hold by your fingertips with about 5 inches to spare away from your hand. Stand over the kitchen sink and turn the cold water on. Strike a match and set the flame to the fabric. If it melts, it's polyester. If it burns, it's cotton. The reason for having the water on is obvious. If it really flames, you probably don't want to use it for anything that might be exposed to fire. BTW, I just went to sink to try this because I wanted to be sure about it. froggyintexas

sylvia77 09-13-2011 11:27 AM

I have used the material for the backs of wallhangings!

Quiltaddict 09-13-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mugirl113
I use it to make pillowases with...its soft and doesnt wrinkle much!

That was my idea too, not so much ironing.

maryb44662 09-13-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I know we quilters just love our cotton fabrics... but do you have any poly/cotton fabrics? And if so, what have you been using them for?

That is mostly the fabric that I have and I use it in quilts. Never have had a problem at all. I have very little "all cotton" fabric. Mary

kateyb 09-13-2011 04:22 PM

My youngest son is not careful with things. He is also sharing an apartment with others. I know from experience that sometimes when young people move out they forget something or a ex-roommate takes things, so I made him a quilt with cotton polys. They are more durable and less tempting for others to take. I think it will better survive his rough use. When he gets more careful I'll make him an heirloom quilt.
My mom's cousin taught me to sew. She was of the opinion that if it was fabric it could be used in a quilt.