Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Poor Unloved Quilt is Finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/poor-unloved-quilt-finished-t295544.html)

Barb2018 03-16-2018 12:58 PM

Poor Unloved Quilt is Finished

1 Attachment(s)
and tomorrow it will be on its way to its forever home. The recipients do not have any idea it's coming, so I hope they like it. I learned so much doing this quilt and I'm proud of how it turned out. I did the binding using Sharon Schamber's glue basting method. I think I'll do it again although I'll find a more squeezy bottle for the glue...my hands and fingers are really sore. Thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions through its construction. One final question...I'm thinking of sending some extra cuts of fabric along with the quilt in case of an oops. And washing instructions. They are an active family with kids and dogs. Is that strange?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590968[/ATTACH]

zozee 03-16-2018 01:10 PM

It's a great quilt that you have every right to be proud of. Lots of work went into it. Your thought of sending extra fabric isn't necessarily strange, but I do wonder if the family would keep track of it and what it does to (down the road a few year might get forgotten?) . ANd would they know how to repair it or would they send it back to you for repair? Would they feel too badly if kids and/or pets damaged it so that you COULD repair it? Just thinking of possible scenarious. I probably would just send washing instructions, and let it go at that. If it's been unloved, as you say while being the maker, will you want to see it again?

Barb2018 03-16-2018 01:25 PM

Zozee, something to think about. I don't want to see it again and the rest of the fabric is going deep deep at the bottom of my stash or I'll find someone who wants it. I'll think it over tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

nativetexan 03-16-2018 02:08 PM

No, i like the extra fabric being sent. hope they hold onto it. when something needs to be done, they will come back to you. Great quilt!

QuiltnNan 03-16-2018 02:43 PM

you did a fine job!

Jo Belmont 03-16-2018 02:49 PM

Not my idea, but I have used it and felt comfortable in telling the folks that if the quilt needed any repair, to send it back to me. And I advised them that the sign of a very used quilt is quite a compliment. The way the extra "repair" fabric was kept with the quilt is that you make kind of a pocket out of the label, tuck the repair fabric behind it and that way, it gets the same amount of washing as the rest of the quilt, besides always being available. While I haven't done it for a while, I seem to remember putting something at the bottom of the label about repair fabric being behind the label (just in case I'm not around to do it . . . crowding 80 now).

Cari-in-Oly 03-16-2018 02:50 PM

Put scraps of extra fabric under the label. That way if it's ever needed it will have been washed and be as faded as the the rest of the quilt.

Cari

SusieQOH 03-16-2018 03:09 PM

Barb, that's a lovely quilt. I remember your story too.
Washing instructions- yes
Fabric? Not sure. If I knew the person sewed maybe I would but probably not.

Momness 03-16-2018 03:23 PM

You could make a pillow case of the same material with instructions to wash it each time the quilt is washed. It would fade along with the quilt and provide repairs if needed. Also, good for storing the quilt.

Jingle 03-16-2018 03:52 PM

It is a beautiful quilt.