Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poor Unloved Quilt is Finished

Poor Unloved Quilt is Finished

and tomorrow it will be on its way to its forever home. The recipients do not have any idea it's coming, so I hope they like it. I learned so much doing this quilt and I'm proud of how it turned out. I did the binding using Sharon Schamber's glue basting method. I think I'll do it again although I'll find a more squeezy bottle for the glue...my hands and fingers are really sore. Thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions through its construction. One final question...I'm thinking of sending some extra cuts of fabric along with the quilt in case of an oops. And washing instructions. They are an active family with kids and dogs. Is that strange?

Name:  IMG_8225.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  88.7 KB

It's a great quilt that you have every right to be proud of. Lots of work went into it. Your thought of sending extra fabric isn't necessarily strange, but I do wonder if the family would keep track of it and what it does to (down the road a few year might get forgotten?) . ANd would they know how to repair it or would they send it back to you for repair? Would they feel too badly if kids and/or pets damaged it so that you COULD repair it? Just thinking of possible scenarious. I probably would just send washing instructions, and let it go at that. If it's been unloved, as you say while being the maker, will you want to see it again?

Zozee, something to think about. I don't want to see it again and the rest of the fabric is going deep deep at the bottom of my stash or I'll find someone who wants it. I'll think it over tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

Blog Entries
    No, i like the extra fabric being sent. hope they hold onto it. when something needs to be done, they will come back to you. Great quilt!

Blog Entries
    you did a fine job!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Not my idea, but I have used it and felt comfortable in telling the folks that if the quilt needed any repair, to send it back to me. And I advised them that the sign of a very used quilt is quite a compliment. The way the extra "repair" fabric was kept with the quilt is that you make kind of a pocket out of the label, tuck the repair fabric behind it and that way, it gets the same amount of washing as the rest of the quilt, besides always being available. While I haven't done it for a while, I seem to remember putting something at the bottom of the label about repair fabric being behind the label (just in case I'm not around to do it . . . crowding 80 now).

Banned
    Put scraps of extra fabric under the label. That way if it's ever needed it will have been washed and be as faded as the the rest of the quilt.

Cari

Barb, that's a lovely quilt. I remember your story too.
    Washing instructions- yes
    Fabric? Not sure. If I knew the person sewed maybe I would but probably not.

You could make a pillow case of the same material with instructions to wash it each time the quilt is washed. It would fade along with the quilt and provide repairs if needed. Also, good for storing the quilt.

It is a beautiful quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Momness has a great idea
    Be kind today......

Beautiful quilt and I'm sure you are glad this journey is over. I like mommess's idea. Very clever. I always include 2 color catchers with instructions (ziplock Baggie) for the first washing....after that, they are on their own...onward to the a more loving project...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt with lovely workmanship. The idea of sending some leftover fabric appeals to me. That way it can be mended if it's just a small boo-boo, and you won't have to deal with it again. It is lovely.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Beautiful quilt, I have given scraps of a quilt to my children to keep so I don't use in my scraps.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Momness View Post
    You could make a pillow case of the same material with instructions to wash it each time the quilt is washed. It would fade along with the quilt and provide repairs if needed. Also, good for storing the quilt.
    My thoughts exactly!

Include the fabric. I made a comfort quilt for a friend, and within a month she emailed me very upset -- a pet had knocked an ashtray over on it and now it had a burn hole in the sashing. I sent her an extra piece I had (cut too many, as usual) to repair it.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

it is very pretty.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    Nice quilt and colors! It would be very thoughtful to send extra fabric. I also send a few Color Catchers with mine for bright colors.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Barb2018, Picnic condiment bottles work really well for Elmer’s school glue. The kind you put the ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise in. They even have their own little caps if you get them new or if you get lucky like I did and find it at a garage sale. If you don’t have the lid, you can just pour the excess back into the gallon jug of glue and rinse the bottle for next time. I can just take the lid off both and fill the squeeze bottles without a funnel.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

everyone is different: with any of my family, none of the small humans that I make countless quilts for sew nor do their parents sew so the sent fabric would be forgotten quickly. I send washing instructions and a couple color catchers and a thought to "love this quilt to death and if you want it repaired let me know, otherwise I can make you a new one!" I have also repaired a beloved quilt and made a new one for the same small human, i adore sewing for children

I really like momness' idea of the pillowcase!

It's fantastic!
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avanté

I'm sure the recipients will love it. It is really a beauty.

I went way back and found out why it is "poor, unloved" by you. I agree with the others commenting about better to find out he's not the right man for your daughter before the trip down the aisle. And, my prayers that y'all are doing ok and well over the disappointment about the situation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
    I really like momness' idea of the pillowcase!
    Same here...nice finish. I’m sure it will get a lot of use.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    nice quilt and good ideas from everyone. I love Sharons glue method for binding.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast