Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-design-wall-does-anyone-have-one-these-t221733.html)

AZ Jane 05-18-2013 06:58 AM

I must be cheap. I purchase 3 plastic flannel back tablecloths (Wally World). One I use for lap size quilts, the other two I sewed together and use for larger quilts. If I need them to be portable, just fold and roll up.

BellaBoo 05-18-2013 08:20 AM

I think that is a nice product. Pricey? Have you bought a large roll up shade recently? I bought a roll up shade for big window and it was about the same price and didn't come with a stand. LOL

DOTTYMO 05-18-2013 08:30 AM

I saw the. Portable design walls a few years ago at NEC Birmingham UK.
At that time it looked very flimsy although I did think it was an excellent IDEa.
Has it been made steadier.

sewcrazygram 05-18-2013 09:18 AM

IAt my quilters guild that I just joined, some put a flannel backed table cloth up with painters tape.
I tried that at home but the tape didn't stick to the flannel after a couple hours and I found it laying on the floor but the tape did stay on the wall. Any ideas what I did wrong?

humbird 05-18-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygram (Post 6071249)
IAt my quilters guild that I just joined, some put a flannel backed table cloth up with painters tape.
I tried that at home but the tape didn't stick to the flannel after a couple hours and I found it laying on the floor but the tape did stay on the wall. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Sounds like a good idea. Could you just use a couple stright pins and pin the tape to the flannel?

DOTTYMO 05-18-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by humbird (Post 6071334)
Sounds like a good idea. Could you just use a couple stright pins and pin the tape to the flannel?

Sounds like a good ideA. Just take a flannel sheet or one small item I use just for a block is a jigsaw base to keep pieces safe I works just as well.

sewcrazygram 05-18-2013 03:29 PM

I'll give the pins a try. Thanks

adamae 05-18-2013 03:40 PM

Love the idea of wreath holders and a dowel rod.. I have three sets of french doors and could use that when the quilters meet at my house. Thanks.

dmarie 05-18-2013 04:30 PM

I just made one from the directions on Pat Speth's site Nickle Quilts. It uses a folding cardboard dressmaker pattern board and curtain rods. Very easy to make and set up and it folds up for storage. Very inexpensive to make too. Sorry I don't know how to link the site but it is worth looking at.

bluteddi 05-18-2013 04:48 PM

I have a design wall that I made with sytrofoam board covered with flannel..... it became such a catch all for various blocks I took it down.. it currently resides in the guest bedroom ....... until I determine if I want to give it another chance... It's not lookiing for good for it... I'll stick with a sheet I think