Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-sewing-machine-t178987.html)

txstitcher 02-11-2012 10:19 AM

Portable Sewing Machine

I'm considering buying a Janome Jam to take to classes and retreats so that I don't have to haul my MC 6500 around.

What's your favorite portable sewing machine? What do y'all think of the Janome Jem?

Thanks as always!

AnnieH 02-11-2012 10:25 AM

I've had a JJ for twelve months and use it for classes every fortnight. I love it. It's light and really portable but you can use it as any other home domestic machine. The piecing is great too. I thoroughly recommend it.

Annie

Lucio 02-11-2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by txstitcher (Post 4965028)
I'm considering buying a Janome Jam to take to classes and retreats so that I don't have to haul my MC 6500 around.

What's your favorite portable sewing machine? What do y'all think of the Janome Jem?

Thanks as always!

I have the Janome Gem Platinum. The thing I miss the most on this machine is variable needle position. I wish I had shopped a little longer to see if there were other small machines with this feature. I've had no problems with this machine however. If you choose it make sure the dealer throws in some extras such as 1/4 inch foot, carrying case, walking foot and extension table.

Candace 02-11-2012 11:18 AM

My favorite portable machine is my vintage Singer 301. So much so, I own 4 of them. However, it is straight stitch only, so if you need applique stitches this machine wouldn't be for you.

JT 02-11-2012 05:44 PM

I have the Janome 3160 QDC. This is a great light weight machine with all the bells and whistles. I love it. If you have needle up/down and thread cutter on your current model, this one has it too, and only 12 #'s.

Val in IN 02-11-2012 06:00 PM

I take my 1949 Singer Featherweight to classes and when I travel. Very light and sews a wonderful straight stich for piecing. I just love it.

ncredbird 02-11-2012 07:34 PM

My 301 is my take along machine. I use my featherweight at home on the kitchen table when I don't want to go downstairs to the basement to sew. It is great down there in the summer but this time of year just too cold for my old bones. Ann in TN

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4965167)
My favorite portable machine is my vintage Singer 301.

Dolphyngyrl 02-11-2012 07:50 PM

I love my little brother sq9050, xl3500i, love my brothers, people also like the jems, and also people love the babylock audreys, I hear the audreys are really nice, if they were cheaper I would have one, but they are expensive like the jems,and super light too 12lbs i think

quiltyfeelings 02-12-2012 04:21 AM

I sold Kitty (my Janome Jem). I named her kitty because of the hairballs that accumulated in her bobbin! Didn't much care for her. I now only travel with my Singer Featherweight 1948.

Joset 02-12-2012 05:38 AM

i have a janome jem i take to classes and it sews like a jem. lol
i really like mine and it is light to move around.