Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Portable Sewing Machine

Portable Sewing Machine

I'm considering buying a Janome Jam to take to classes and retreats so that I don't have to haul my MC 6500 around.

What's your favorite portable sewing machine? What do y'all think of the Janome Jem?

Thanks as always!
    Michelle

I've had a JJ for twelve months and use it for classes every fortnight. I love it. It's light and really portable but you can use it as any other home domestic machine. The piecing is great too. I thoroughly recommend it.

Annie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txstitcher View Post
    I'm considering buying a Janome Jam to take to classes and retreats so that I don't have to haul my MC 6500 around.

What's your favorite portable sewing machine? What do y'all think of the Janome Jem?

Thanks as always!
    I have the Janome Gem Platinum. The thing I miss the most on this machine is variable needle position. I wish I had shopped a little longer to see if there were other small machines with this feature. I've had no problems with this machine however. If you choose it make sure the dealer throws in some extras such as 1/4 inch foot, carrying case, walking foot and extension table.

My favorite portable machine is my vintage Singer 301. So much so, I own 4 of them. However, it is straight stitch only, so if you need applique stitches this machine wouldn't be for you.

JT
    I have the Janome 3160 QDC. This is a great light weight machine with all the bells and whistles. I love it. If you have needle up/down and thread cutter on your current model, this one has it too, and only 12 #'s.
    JT

Blog Entries
    I take my 1949 Singer Featherweight to classes and when I travel. Very light and sews a wonderful straight stich for piecing. I just love it.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

My 301 is my take along machine. I use my featherweight at home on the kitchen table when I don't want to go downstairs to the basement to sew. It is great down there in the summer but this time of year just too cold for my old bones. Ann in TN

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    My favorite portable machine is my vintage Singer 301.

I love my little brother sq9050, xl3500i, love my brothers, people also like the jems, and also people love the babylock audreys, I hear the audreys are really nice, if they were cheaper I would have one, but they are expensive like the jems,and super light too 12lbs i think

I sold Kitty (my Janome Jem). I named her kitty because of the hairballs that accumulated in her bobbin! Didn't much care for her. I now only travel with my Singer Featherweight 1948.
    ~Laura

i have a janome jem i take to classes and it sews like a jem. lol
    i really like mine and it is light to move around.

I second the Janome 3160. All the "fancy" features in only 16 lbs which includes the cover, cord, foot pedal and accessories. It has a variable needle position - adjustable in .5mm increments. I love mine.

Blog Entries
    My machine that I take to class with me is my Kenmore/Janome. Now before you say it isn't small or lightweight; let me explain. My other two machines are the Viking Mega quilter and the Viking Ruby. Compared to both of these machines my Kenmore is very light and it sews great. When I have a class that needs more than just straight stitches it can handle that as well.
    Judy

I take my Bernina 380 to classes. It's small, came with a case and is easy to cart around.

Janome Gem Does Have Variable Needle Positions

You do have variable needle positions on your machine - lots of them! I found this out by accident. Press the zig zag button on our machine. If you press the +, your needle will move several positions to the right, the same if you press the -, the needle will move several positions to the left. You can stop at any needle position you want. Then press the straight stitch button. Your needle will stay in the position you left it in and you can sew away on your straight stitch. Hope my directions are clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    I have the Janome Gem Platinum. The thing I miss the most on this machine is variable needle position. I wish I had shopped a little longer to see if there were other small machines with this feature. I've had no problems with this machine however. If you choose it make sure the dealer throws in some extras such as 1/4 inch foot, carrying case, walking foot and extension table.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Until I got my Featherweight, I always took my dinky mechanical Brother which sews a nice stitch and is lightweight. I've used this machine for about 8 years with no problems.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a small Brother and love it. The Babylocks are great too. I don't like the Janomes. I, as well as others, have had bobbin trouble. But a lot of people like them.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I love my Babylock Audrey, I paid around $350. it came with a table, carrying case 1/4 inch foot and lots more extras. Before I got it I carried my 1940's FW, but since they are getting too expensive to replace I purchased the Audrey and don't regret the change with the stitch options I can use.

Nearly everyone else I sew with has the small Janome lightweights, but they were lots more money than my Audrey.

Good luck with your choice, I do suggest shopping around and trying different machines, what I or someone else likes may not be your first choice.

Longarm