Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 AM

Default Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

I sometimes need to purchase some interfacing or higher quality fabric from Walmart to try a technique.

Today, I decided to add the store phone number to my cellphone contact list.

I will ring the "call associate bell" once and wait for their response.

Then, I will phone the store to ask for assistance if step one doesn't work!

What do you think????

Bottom line: there's nothing like the knowledge, courtesy, and quality received at your LQS......
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
Bottom line: there's nothing like the knowledge, courtesy, and quality received at your LQS......
So then avoid the aggravation ... and go to your LQS instead!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 AM

You are fortunate to have a LQS that is courteous, so give them your business.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
So then avoid the aggravation ... and go to your LQS instead!
And we know not everyone is going to agree with us, but I agree with this! After a few frustrated trips in the past few months from the Walmarts and the Hancocks and the poor cutting techniques they use, I will go to my local LQS and Hobby Lobby before I go into the other fabric depts. again. Our LQS has a good sale every month, and just had a huge Super Bowl Sunday sale. I prefer asking for 3 yards and getting 3 yards, not 2 yards and a crooked 33-34".
I like your approach. I have thought of doing just that, phoning a business when I am already there. Watch the customer service in action.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM

I am still waiting for my Walmart to get fabric back.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I just pick up the phone, by the cutting table, dial operater and say I need help in fabrics. They aren't staffing the dept. so they can say they want the dept. taken out because they aren't selling much.
If you find the manager tell him they need someone there full time.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM

I applaud you! One day I was in my local WM and there wasn't anybody at the cutting table. (I wasn't purchasing, just browsing) There were 4 young adults 2 male 2 female that had a bolt of fabric on the cutting table. The bell was rung several times but nobody came after 20 mins. They decided to cut the fabric themselves. I went to the Electronics department to inform an employee what was happening. The girl looked at me and said "What do you want me to do about it?" I turned around and left!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 AM

ROLMAO! Reminds me of my mother. She went into The Bon Marche (in those days it was considered "THE" store to shop --- I called it expensive). She was in the dinnerware area and couldn't get any help. There were three other people waiting, too. She called on their phone......and while that person was giving her the run-around, she reached over and hit the right key on the cash register --- the drawer popped open with a DING. The woman on the phone said "well, it sounds like you have help now"....mom's response: Nope, but I'll leave my money in the open cash drawer. ...ROL -- she had IMMEDIATE help from 3 clerks!!!! Only do this if you have witnesses!!!

BTW -- Sam Walton must be rolling over in his grave...!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

We just have the pre-cuts in our store. Of course their sales are going down in fabric if it's just pre-cuts or no staffing. They will use it for an excuse to remove the department altogether. I get most of my fabric from my LQS but depended on the later hours for an emergency purchase like thread, Wonder Under etc. I think putting the phone number in your mobile is brilliant......and I would keep calling until someone comes!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 AM

I do the same thing, but I call before I shop! When I get to the fabric department I go ahead and call the customer service desk and THEN see what I want to get. Works wonderfully. As to why I would buy fabric there? Because not every project I make needs $10/yd fabric. Seasonal things especially are often made with Walmart purchases. I made nap mats/quilts for my grandsons and let them choose what they wanted from the offerings at Walmart. My beloved LQS didn't have the kinds of things the boys wanted - dragons, flames, Dallas Cowboys, dinos - and I wasn't willing to spend that much for them. Where do I buy fabric? Wherever it's sold!