Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Well my local Walmart has a person working the fabric , had to ring the bell once but one came running. Working on a project, most of my fabric comes from somewhere else, but can trust Walmart for extra pieces of solids. They have one pattern in stock, that I had bought over a year ago at my wholesalers, was wondering about that. They have also started a Quilters meeting once a month on Sat. mornings, but I have to work this month on that Sat., so they are at least trying around here.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM

It seems to me, it depends what time of the day it is. During the day there is always someone there. The later it gets, the less chance of someone being there to cut the fabric.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM

The last time I was in WM it was about 2 am in the morning, of course there was no one available everyone was putting stuff away onto the shelves. I did find someone and showed him how to use the price gun showed him how to measure the fabric too. Got what I needed and was thanked in the process. lol Maybe I need to get a job there. but its an hour away. Oh well.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Cell phones don't work in our Walmart.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM

You could have been writing about our Walmart. There is never anyone there to cut fabric. Its not unusual to have someone come from the electronic dept. That gives me a feeling of confidence - not!. The manager is responsible for several depts and they are at opposite ends of the store. She is constantly running. Last week I was told everyone was at a meeting.
I've been tempted to cut my own and see the fall-out from that but I don't want to get the manager in trouble as she is doing the best she can. Like the idea of calling from the dept.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM

I've had to do this in one of my LQSes, but not because there was no help. It was because the owner is such a chatty cathy that I can't escape!!! She will actually follow me out into the parking lot, yakking. At first I tried various "gotta go now, talk to you later" types of comments, but that didn't work. Then I resorted to being rude, but felt bad about it; she wasn't being rude to me, she just likes to share way too much. So now what I do is take a friend or my son with me and have them call her on the phone when I'm ready to leave.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I don't know why most Walmart managers despise the fabric dept. They don't wan it back in the store so anything to lessen the sale of that dept is what they want.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM

It would be great to be able to support your LQS. Unfortunately not everyone has one. Our local WalMart will be reorganizing this Spring and is supposed to be getting a fabric department. We look forward to having one again.
We do currently have a LQS and they are great but the owner stated last week that unless the economy makes a dramatic
upturn soon she will be out of business by the end of the year. The shop is where we meet to make Quilts of Valor. I doubt that WalMart will have a room for us to use for our guild meetings.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM

I needed a yard of ribbon one day at Walmart, no one to help me, I cut the ribbon and took the roll to the cashier, she said I couldn't do that, then called the dept, NO Answer, then sent the manager to get a price for my ribbon, after waiting so long at the register, I finally told her to just keep it, and left. But I also have to say at my local WM there is a bell to ring, and I usually get customer service quickly, but have called the front desk too.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've had to do this in one of my LQSes, but not because there was no help. It was because the owner is such a chatty cathy that I can't escape!!! She will actually follow me out into the parking lot, yakking. At first I tried various "gotta go now, talk to you later" types of comments, but that didn't work. Then I resorted to being rude, but felt bad about it; she wasn't being rude to me, she just likes to share way too much. So now what I do is take a friend or my son with me and have them call her on the phone when I'm ready to leave.
That's kind of funny!