Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM

I am appalled at the attitude and tone of this thread - I have always thought this was a kind and friendly forum!
Bullying the employees is NOT the way to get good service, you can bet they were not feeling warm and fuzzy about you when you walk away after acting the way some of you have bragged about.

Walmart will address this issue by removing the BTY sales goods, because face it, there is not enough profit in the fabric dept to keep it fully staffed 24/7. And then you will gripe that there is no fabric again.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Default Some insight

Today I stopped in the fabric department of our WM and found it absolutely, perfectly, organized! It looks the best it has since they moved it back in!! There was an associate there who asked me if I needed assistance. Huh???? I was in shock! She said someone had called for assistance in the department, but she couldn't find them. When I continued to talk to her, she told me she was from the electronics department, but the the department responsible for fabrics is "lawn and garden"! Wow, that department is the furthest away, and I doubt they'd ever hear a bell, if there was one. This lady agreed that the guys in electronics didn't know how to cut fabric, and that she tries to help out when she can. Before they discontinued fabrics, she worked in that department, so she knew what she was doing. I mentioned this thread on this Board, and I wonder if she'll check it out.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 PM

I have clled the main # in our store. Couldn't find anyone as they had moved the gluten free stuff. even the help didn't know where it was finally found a clerk who knew somethin.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
Oh my goodness ladies, how many threads did we have about wanting fabric back in wal mart and now that we have it we still are not happy. It is not the workers fault that corporate does not let the store have enough help please don't take it out on the clerks.My dad does this and I refuse to go to the store with him anymore. These workers are already treated like crap by the management staff lets not add to the mix.
Many can not afford LQS and if those persons could perhaps they do not have one close. (the closest one to me is 50 minutes away) Yes we may have to find some help at the cutting table but at least we now have a craft section!Yaaaaay!
Excellent response. Thank you raedar63
Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Well I guess you are talking about me. First I didnt yell at the cashier and make her cry, the manager did because the manager was so mad at me. But I got that store policy changed that very day after having problems with that particular store for over a year. I know I did because now they handle the whole situation differently. I am sorry that woman probably lost her job. I wasnt bullying her. I just wasnt going to take it anymore.

Second, I said be polite two times but three strikes you are out.

Third, I worked in retail as a cashier. Although it was many moons ago, life hasnt changed that much. If you want a fast response FROM A FRONT END MANAGER, lock that check out lane down and I will guarantee you it wont take 30 minutes to get that fabric cut. Do it enough and they will change the policy.

Good luck with your Walmart woes. I dont have fabric in mine.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 AM

That's just way too much work for me. If I have to change my shopping strategies to force a store to change their management habits, then that store does not want my business bad enough. I'm fortunate that I have choices, and I choose to excercise my freedom of choice by shopping where I CAN get good service without all these shenanigans.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 AM

I usually pick up their service phone and over the loud speaker I shout, "Associate is needed in the fabric department. Associate is needed in the fabric department!" Never fails.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Well I went to the new Walmart two towns and experienced their fabric department--didnt know they had one since I rarely go to that town.

You all need to get in contact with the regional managers where you are. There is absolutely no excuse for what you are complaining about even if the fabric is dead cheap and you dont have a LQS.

The department was staffed. While cramped, it was organized. That staffer was either stocking or cutting. She asked people if they needed help to just ask. She did have a line of people--three but it was Sunday afternoon and one of the ladies was buying a ton of fleece. Some of the fabric was fairly good and you could not beat the price for crafting quality.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:28 AM
dd

I have 7 WM within 1/2 from my house in any given direction. I only go to one. They are a Super WM and in a smaller town. The people are friendly and I have no trouble getting fabric cut. I won't go to certain WM because of the staff and no Fabric.
I say life is too short to aggravate yourself or someone else. If you don't like the store or the service, stay out of that store! I told the mgr of the store I do support about the way I have been treated every time I go to the other stores. Mgrs like to hear good things too, not just people griping all the time.
I often write to companies about how wonder an employee is. Actually I shouldn't have to do that. That is the way CS should be. I got one guy a raise because I told the company he went out of his way to help me and was sooo polite and his momma raised him right and deserved a raise. They whole heartedly agreed and wished they heard that sort of thing about more employees. I figured if I write about my experience, how many people have had the same experience and don't tell anyone.
It's easy to take it out on the employees but ask for the mgr.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Sounds like too much sugar for a dime! Go shopping!