Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM

I carry our local WalMart's phone number in my cell, and use it when they don't call associates to the fabric department or checkers to checkout. When I'm done I had my phone to the next person and another call is make. So far it has worked every time.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM

If I can't find anyone to cut fabric, I pick up their phone and ask for assistance in the fabrics dept. over their loud speaker. Someone shows up most of the time but at our WM all the depts are under staffed. Sometomes it's easier to get fabric cut that is is to get someone in the deli. Wish I had a LQS less than 2 hours away !!!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM

I understand the need to go to walmart as my closest LQS is 40 miles away, and in apinch I have needed to go to the dreaded (and I mean that from my heart) walmart. You should see the one in Murray Ky - the fabric is on the floor, no joke, and stacked hap-hazzardly on top of one another. Sometimes I just want to pull the bottom one out and see what happens. The walmart I usually go to is in Paris, TN and it is ........ half way serviced, but again, the fabric selection is poor, very bad quality, and only used in an emergency.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM

i used to like our Walmart fabric dept until they remodeled now we have one small section of notions and a small section of fabris (not the best quality) and there is no one assigned to this dept it is a free for all when you need help, , when i was in there the other day i looked at the fabric and there price was $7.97 a yard !!!!!! omg i will spend that amount of money where my business is appreciated and the people are friendly and waiting to help me with my purchase
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

When you have horrible service there's a really great new thing called the internet. I use it all the time! I contact corporate headquarters and report the lack of service.

This happened at one of our local Walmarts several years ago in the paint dept. I had someone paged to help me 3X. I stood at the paint department counter and yelled as loudly as I could "I need help with paint. Will someone please come to the paint department and help me?" (I did that 3x also. My friend and daughter ran each time) 45 minutes with no help. I left and called every 1/2 hr. for 3 hours---couldn't talk to the manager he was in a meeting.
After contacting headquarters the manager called to apologize then got fired.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM

LOL I think that is a great idea! Save a lot of steps. Ours doesn't even have a call associate bell.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM

If a store has poor service in the fabric area, get on the WM website and give direct feedback to corporate!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM

It's difficult sometimes to go teh LQS because the difference in prices. I know the quality isn't quite the same but when it's 5 of 6 dollars difference in prices, you gotta do what fits your pocket book.
R
Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
So then avoid the aggravation ... and go to your LQS instead!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM

i just do not bother with walmart much for anything these days..especially the fabric department..but i love the "phone call technique"...and i think i am gonna start using it-and not just in walmart either...but lowes, home depot, office supply, sears, j.c.penny and belk...heck, i may even use it at the grocery store too. my time and my money is just as valueable as theirs!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM

The last time Iwas in WalMart, I had pretty much the same problem...if I hadn't needed a yard of a specific print due to a miscut, I would have walked away...
I waited 30 minutes total....after ringing bell, looking for associate, etc. Finally, I went to the service area and said I needed a manager NOW! I had a manager within 2 minutes and I walked him back to the fabric dept. and taught him how to cut fabric. (my 1 piece had multiplied to several)...after he finished with mine he had several other patrons to cut for. Plus he got a tongue lashing from all of us.