Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
You could have been writing about our Walmart. There is never anyone there to cut fabric. Its not unusual to have someone come from the electronic dept. That gives me a feeling of confidence - not!. The manager is responsible for several depts and they are at opposite ends of the store. She is constantly running. Last week I was told everyone was at a meeting.
I've been tempted to cut my own and see the fall-out from that but I don't want to get the manager in trouble as she is doing the best she can. Like the idea of calling from the dept.
A friend of mine did cut her own. She had waited and waited for someone to come, so she cut what she wanted and took it and the bolt to check out, told them how much she had cut and they checked her out!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM

If you are in Portland I think your best bet is Fabric Depot!

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
We are suposed to be getting a Walmart where we had a Haggens store was that closed. Don't know if that will happen, it will be less than a mile away. I will still so to my LQS, 4 miles away, but if I have a notion emergency, I will probably check out Walmart. Brand name pins, needles, some thread would be OK at Walmart
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM

I have the funniest story to tell all of you. One day my sister and I were looking for bits of fabric to finish projects etc. We could not get anyone to help us at WalMart. We rang the bell, we went to the electronics department, we asked other clerks passing by etc. Finally we just started helping ourselves. We measured the fabric, cut it and filled out little pieces of paper for tickets. I wrote down the sku numbers. Other customers came by and asked us to help them which we did. We told all the customers to tell the people at the registers what was written on the tickets. We had a hoot and a howl waiting on the WalMart customers. I've never laughed so hard in my life. Finally our crowd cleared out so we moved on and checked out. When we went through the register no one questioned us about the charges we had recorded on the little slips of paper. Sadly, on one thanked us for a job well done either! I always thought it was so odd that no store personnel ever stopped by the fabric department to check on business there! My sister and I wondered if we could add this to our resume as retail experience! hehehe & giggles
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 PM

They're getting ready to open another Walmart here. This one is only 10 miles from me. I don't care to shop at Walmart unless I have to but it will be close for after hour emergency buys when I run out of thread or something!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Our Walmart staff in the fabric area is really on top of things so I don't have a problem there. But our Loew's is another story and I do use my cell phone to call the service desk if I can't get someone to assist me in a reasonable time frame. So, I think what you want to do is okay.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:09 AM

My town has a Walmart but doesn't have a LQS or any other store that sells fabric. We have no choice.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 AM

Why do you go there then ? There fabric isn't very good quality most of the time anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 AM

I am still waiting for our local Walmart to get fabric and crafts back. It frosts me that they carry lots of Wilton products and they don't have a class. It would behove Walmart to train there people and offer classes in products they sell. Even if they train there personel to be polite and smile it would be great.
I guess old Sam is turning over in his grave with the way his stores are being handled.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
I'm not a Walmart shopper (I prefer to support quilt shops), but I do occasionally shop there for fabric for craft projects. Complain directly to the manager. Be sure that before you do so, that you haven't just missed a bell or buzzer or something to call an employee if you need help. They need to know that people WANT HELP in that department. That's the only way to get the help in there.
I believe if enough of us send e-mails or call walmart things will change, this is one of my favorite quotes " the wheel that squeeks the loudest is the one that gets the grease"!
Our complaints is what got fabric back in some of the walmarts, so lets try this again to get some staffing in the fabric areas.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 AM

Ask the store Fabric manager if she has a cell number that when she is at work you can call her. The manager of fabric dept gave me her's. Please she(they) know me by my name.If you go in a lot get to know thier by names. You can get anything. I just called mine yesterday and ask if she could get me this one fabric that at my WM do not carry. She said sure just bring in the UPC code. Funny that 1 WM carries that and another 1 doesn't.