Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=Jingle;4951559]I just pick up the phone, by the cutting table, dial operater and say I need help in fabrics."

I do the same thing.! But what do you expect from Wally Mart. They used to be known for their customer service but I guess to keep prices low they have cut costs by cutting floor staff!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 AM

that is the reason Wal Mart removed the fabric there is not enough profit in cheap fabric to employ someone there all the time and 24 hours a day when they are open besides most of those people does not even measure right when they cut I will support my LQS they know their business
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Suzbo View Post
It's really sad how Walmart has gone downhill since the passing of Sam Walton. I used to be proud to shop there when they bragged of all their merchandise being "made in America." Now all his kids think about is profit -even if it means getting rid of quality. I am really too close to boycotting Walmart altogether.
I have been "boycotting" wallyworld for years - it won't work - lol - unless a lot of us do it. I try to buy "made in USA" as much as possible, & when I could find nothing in the store actually made here, I just stopped going.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 AM

Our Wal-Mart has terrible service in the fabric department but I like buying Valentine and Easter and St Patricks fabric there as my local Quilt shop doesnt carry seasonal fabric and NEVER has a sale. I usually have to go to jewelry(always someone there) and have them call someone. Its agrivating but I'm persistant!!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 AM

I have a Wal Mart that never lost their fabric. Several times, I have left a stack of fabric on the cutting table because no one would come to cut my choices. I have also stopped other associate as they pass by the department to cut my fabric. I also have talked to the associates and they are to cover other departments. I know the one store, they cover the paint, lighting, offices type supplies etc, that are around the fabric department. The associates from those department are to assist in the fabric, some don't know how to measure and cut fabric. I had one guy, I cut the fabric, and he put the information into the computer for my receipt. I also helped him with other customers. He watched me measure and cut the fabric, then tried it on his own and had me watch him. I really believe Wal Mart have cut the number of workers and forgot how to train them. If someone has to cover another department than they were hired for, they need to be trained. I really think this is the problem, they need more workers that know how to service the customers in the fabric department.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Saturday I had to run to my WalMart's vision department thanks to my "wonderful cat"-he knocked my glasses off the night stand and I lost a nose piece. After getting glasses repaired I decided to walk around the store a bit...was I surprised they have put fabric back in the store. There is not much but it is good to see it.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i think that's a great idea!!! i'll be certain to use that tip if they ever put the full fabric dept back in our WM
Yep, me too!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Here in Texas the stores of any kind that sell fabric are about 1 1/2 hours driving time apart unless you are in a city. I am grateful for the Walmart closest to me. It's only 25 miles away. The next closest one is 45 miles away in a different direction. They both sell fabric.LQS are farther.

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-09-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM

I'd love to use the LQS if I had one. It's a 20 minute drive just to get to Wal-mart and almost an hour to get to a quilt shop. I'll try the phone next time I can't find an associate to cut my fabric. So far I've been lucky as far as finding someone to cut for me.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM

I happen to work in the fabric department in Walmart, and it is NOT that they are not staffing the fabric table!! They give us SOOOOOOO much more to do than just cut fabric!! We are not allowed to just stand around waiting for customers to browse and find what they like. We put up with so many angry customers, customers that don't choose everything AND THEN ring the bell, and customers who get angry when we don't appear instantly. A person can only walk so fast!!!!! There needs to be ALOT more PATIENCE on the part of the customer!!! If you don't like the way it is at Walmart, GO ELSEWHERE!!!! Those of us that are cutting your fabric like our jobs, and are doing the best we can, with the rules that we are forced to work under!!!!