Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >
  • Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

• Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM

I've been doing that for about a year now because they don't have a full time regular salesperson in that department.
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM

You mean you can actually get them to answer the phone??? LOL WalMart not the LQS
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Walmart does not have a person for each department, they do have one person for several adjoining departments. At the Walmart we go to, the person in shoes handles the fabric department. If I can't get someone to come to fabrics...I ring the buzzer for shoes...works every time. At this walmart, the person in Shoes is also experienced in sewing, a bonus.
    Once, in California...I got the manager cutting my fabric...he had no clue how to cut...so I showed him how to line up the fabric on the cutting groove, pinching to get the exact amount (Joann/Fabricland method)...he offered me a job in fabric department...only fabrics...I had a full time job then, and he offered for evenings...which, he said was their busiest time in fabrics...then mentioned the other two departments, and said they were slow evenings anyhows...I declined. I know that there is more to these departments than waiting on customers...you have to stock, clean, inspect, watch...not just be there for customers. So, when you see a sales person in the shoe department who seems to be staring at the racks of shoes...she/he is actually trying to make a mental list of what to restock, what's missing, etc.
    They sometimes just don't compute the bell ringing when they are trying to work. They have certain things that have to be done during their shift...it's a lot harder job than most realize.
    That's why some seem to come off as annoyed when they have to come cut fabric...they aren't...they are trying to remember what they just had to leave...and worried about that list of things they have to get done.
    Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    It's not Walmart that gets on my nerves, it's the Walmartians in the store that get on my nerves!
    Which is why I avoid Walmart like the plague. Walmart all around just plain gets me from the disarray in the store to the clutter in the aisles, to the screaming babies and kids echoing all across the cement box, to the long lines at checkout, etc.

And think of this: When you are the lowest price around how do you think they do it? Even at the low wages and tiny benefits (if any) they pay do you think they would remain the lowest if they actually staffed the store? You pay for what you get.
    Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I usually shop JoAnn or Hobby Lobby (we don't have an LQS). The only thing I get at Walmart is my Fiskar blades....5 for 15.97, and you can buy those up front.
    Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Our local Walmart threatened to close the fabric department. There are lots of artistic seniors in this town, so there was a total uproar. We managed to keep it open. Let's face it, customer service is nowhere what it used to be, at Walmart or anywhere else. I'm fortunate in that I'm rarely in a hurry, so I don't mind waiting at the fabric counter or going to get a store employee to cut fabric. I don't buy a lot of fabric there, but I certainly can't afford the prices at the LQS, unless it is on sale. Most of what I buy comes from online shopping. I don't know what our town would have been like if the fabric department had been removed.
    Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM

It's really sad how Walmart has gone downhill since the passing of Sam Walton. I used to be proud to shop there when they bragged of all their merchandise being "made in America." Now all his kids think about is profit -even if it means getting rid of quality. I am really too close to boycotting Walmart altogether.
    Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    ROLMAO! Reminds me of my mother. She went into The Bon Marche (in those days it was considered "THE" store to shop --- I called it expensive). She was in the dinnerware area and couldn't get any help. There were three other people waiting, too. She called on their phone......and while that person was giving her the run-around, she reached over and hit the right key on the cash register --- the drawer popped open with a DING. The woman on the phone said "well, it sounds like you have help now"....mom's response: Nope, but I'll leave my money in the open cash drawer. ...ROL -- she had IMMEDIATE help from 3 clerks!!!! Only do this if you have witnesses!!!

BTW -- Sam Walton must be rolling over in his grave...!!!!
    Now that's funny!!! We have to be related because I could certainly see my Mom or Granny doing the very same thing. What a fantastic person she is!!!!
    Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM

It could always be worse. Try living in an area with NO fabric stores at all. The closest is 80 miles away so I have to buy everything I want online. It's not that bad but you sure can't be in a hurry and trying to match something is next to impossible, therefore, you have to buy from the same line.
    Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM

You are lucky you have a phone number for a theater. I haven't seen a number for years. All automated and no way to get thru!!
    Originally Posted by AshleyR
    My family went to the movies and was waiting for it to start. For some reason, there was a delay, but they wouldn't tell us what was going on. We were just waiting!
    At 1:30, I called the theater and asked, "What time does the 1:00 show begin?"