Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM

I really wish there was some way to send this whole thread to Walmart's home office. This is soo sad
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM

They said in the Wm here they were going to get fabric back in January. It would be closer for me to run into for small things. But no sign of anything happening so I guess they changed their minds. I didn't even bother to ask.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM

Walmart has excellent market survey research.They usually don't sell fabric where there are fabric stores within close driving distance.

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 AM

We just got fabric back at our WM! ...AND the dept is STAFFED until 7pm!! I live in a small town between Myrtle Beach and Charleston, and the closest LQS is 45 min away - we NEEDED this!!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Walmart has excellent market survey research.
That may be, but they don't use it to any good purposel
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM

It is a great idea to call the store! I am retired from WM (just last September) and I was the one who answered the phone. Customers called all the time for service. Our store hasn't gotten the fabric back yet but customers were calling for service in the paint department. The WM are understaffing the stores and has just one person to cover several departments so it is a good idea to call the store while there to find help. It isn't the sales floor help fault for the lack of service it is upper managements fault for understaffing.
I go to a WM in another town to purchase fusible batting ($4.97 yd) and heavyweight interfacing ($2.97 yd) that my LQS doesn't carry
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM

I sure miss the days when the fabric department was a fabric dpartment and there were ladies there to help me all the time. It was such a better experience. And profitable for them. I used to spend a lot of money at Walmart - not just on the fabric but all the other stuff I really couldn't resist. Now, I hardly even shop the store and they have fabric. Just not the same!

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
I sometimes need to purchase some interfacing or higher quality fabric from Walmart to try a technique.

Today, I decided to add the store phone number to my cellphone contact list.

I will ring the "call associate bell" once and wait for their response.

Then, I will phone the store to ask for assistance if step one doesn't work!

What do you think????

Bottom line: there's nothing like the knowledge, courtesy, and quality received at your LQS......
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

Last time I got fabric at walmart ,another customer cut it for me .after a long wait. Than I lucked out they could not read her numbers an he could not find it in there little book. so I got a yard an a half , for the price of a yard. I had told him how I waited an got no answer. joyce j
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Looks like I'm very lucky with my Wal Mart. I wandered back to the fabric while waiting for my glasses and found a group of fabrics for a quilt and the pattern. And tractor fabric with old red tractors
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Looks like I'm very lucky with my Wal Mart. I wandered back to the fabric while waiting for my glasses and found a group of fabrics for a quilt and the pattern. And tractor fabric with old red tractors like my husband collects, so I get to make him a quilt. The ladies that work there sew and quilt. Guess I should say that this is in Idaho Falls, Idaho.