Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact Portable Sewing Machine

I am looking for a superlight sewing machine to tote around to my quilt classes and bees and relatives and vacations. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Janome Magnolia.
    Very lightweight but a good solid machine. Check with your local machine dealers. Sometimes people have traded up and you can get a used machine that's been totally checked out and sometimes even has a limited warranty. Also make sure that you use a reputable dealer with a good service reputation. Even the best machine is worth nothing if the place you bought it doesn't have good repair service.
    And quilt lady is right too. The Jem is a great little machine.

Janome Jem

ive got an old elna just straight+zigzag light as a feather--but i am eyeing off the featherweight singer but need more info on that one

Blog Entries
    I have a Gem Janome.

Quote Originally Posted by toniraemoore
    I am looking for a superlight sewing machine to tote around to my quilt classes and bees and relatives and vacations. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I bought a Brother HS2000 last year because I have a 20lb lifting limit (back problems) & I can lift it with one hand, but it has been working almost non-stop since it got here & is wonderful!! I just started using the walking foot & FMQ foot for it & those are great too! I'm very happy with it!!

I have a Brother CSI6000 - light, sews well, has a table and is not expensive,

I have the Janome Plantium, I love it! Great and light weight to travel with! I just quilted a full size quilt on this baby! I will post a pic shortly!

If you check with your lqs, many times you can pick a little machine up used, fully checked out and most of the time a bit of a warranty with it!

You can't beat a featherweight.
    JulieM

A Featherweight is what I use. I have a very bad back & can't lift anything heavy so this is my win win solution!!

Singer Featherweight :)

Blog Entries
    I like my Brother CS6000i too :)

Singer Featherweight, 11 lbs., or Singer 301, 16 lbs.. The 301 also has a carry handle built in and you are able to do FMQ as the feed dogs drop. Both are excellent machines.

Blog Entries
    Original Featherweight or 301 is my call as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Tomilu, I absolutely love your avatar. Did you refinish it or was it beautiful like that when you got it?? I am looking for a treadle now too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Tomilu, I absolutely love your avatar. Did you refinish it or was it beautiful like that when you got it?? I am looking for a treadle now too.
    It was like that when I bought it. A Damascus that a lady had who didn't sew, just thought it was pretty.

Janome Gem weighs about 12 lbs. I have one and they work great!

Janome Jem if you want a new one. A lady on here has 2 Janome's for sale, one is a Janome DC2007LE and it is a great class machine, too, for the money.

I love the vintage machines, and although I would love to have a featherweight in my collection just because it's so cute, I would much rather sew with the 301 because it's so much more powerful.

If you want a new machine, the Brother CS6000i weighs 11 pounds, plus it comes with a bunch of different feet, including a darning foot, even feed foot and hard plastic case for less than $200.

As light as it is, I'm betting that it isn't great for free-motion quilting - it also has a drop-in bobbin, so the stitches with FMQ might not be very good, either.

But, it handles quilt piecing, garment construction and ordinary household sewing tasks very well and it's easy to operate.

Have fun! :)

Janome has a new machine the DC5010 (I think) and it's awesome, small and provides a lot.

Janome Jem - 12 lbs and love it

Toni, I have a couple of machines for sale.... There's not a thing wrong with either of them. They are great little Janome's like posted here....if yor are interested in either let me know.. thanks

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87594-1.htm

Janome 3160QC. Most classes are piecing, so I have to have the auto thread cutter and the needle up/down feature. This one has both. It also has a wider stitch width and more RPMs than the Jems. It also has what they call Superior Feed System that the Jems do not. It weights 12.5 lbs. I love this machine. It travels well.
    I work in Cleburne TX. Feel free to PM me anytime.
    Diana in TX

If you really want a small machine that works great - try the Janome Sew Mini. Regular price is $49.99 at Hancock Fabrics, sale price is $39.99. I work there and have never had one returned. The gals buy them for just the reasons you stated - bringing them to classes, lake homes and rv's.

My little trooper is an Elna 1400, small but sews through anything I have asked it to. Fits into the bottom of my shopping cart and goes with me when I leave the house to sew. MyDD has a Riccar that she takes with her when traveling.
    If you only want a second machine for sewing away from home, look for a used one at a dealer, they guarantee it will work and it will not surprise you with a breakdown. Try it out before buying.

Carol J.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast