Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Compact Portable Sewing Machine

I have the Babylock Audrey. It weighs 12 pounds and has all the stitches, feed dogs drop and the stitches can be adjusted.
    Great little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by toniraemoore
    I am looking for a superlight sewing machine to tote around to my quilt classes and bees and relatives and vacations. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    singer has a new featherweight...it was on hsn the other day. i prefer the bernina bernette. lightweight and is not electronic and purrs like a kitten. let us know what you get. the bernette is very affordable here at the ardmore creative sewing center. ask for emmy... tell her johnnye referred her and she will make you a great price.

\

Elna Grasshopper. Skip the case. It is the havy part. Those little machines run so quiet you'll wonder if it is working. Also like the Featherweight.

I have the Janome Jem Platinum.
    I like the needle up/down and has quite a few decoritive stitches.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Bernette to take to retreats and classes. It was only $149. and weighs about 12 lbs. Great little machine. :wink:

Janome..our group has the silver and some have the gold. I don't know the name of the most recent one..but they are great little machines..truly good ones. Mine came with a walking foot and several other feet AND a plexiglass quilting table. It was under $300 when I got it and it has many many 'miles' on it and works great. Only replaced the light in it so far!

Featherweights are light however..they can be pricey..but very durable..straight stitch only.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a 222 free-arm featherweight after doing alot of research. I am just starting to learn quilting after a 25 year hiatus from sewing because of my career.
    I can't speak to other brands, I grew up and still have a Singer 201, birthday 1946. Sewing machines just aren't made like they used to be, when it comes to quality and machining. I did not buy it for zig-zag, nor software programs, nor embroidery. I bought it because it is such a work horse, 'It take's a lickn' but keeps on ticking as TimeEx used to say.
    Get yourself a copy of Nancy Johnson-Srebro 3rd edition of Featherweight 221 ( and 222), The Perfect Portable and Its Stitches Across History. Happy Hunting, try Singer Original Vintage Products website. Libber

I have a Janome Gem too. It replaced my good 'ole dependable Brother Electronic that just got too darn heavy - or I'm just getting too darn old!

the singer 301A can usually be found much cheaper than the featherweight and has more options than the featherweight and although a little heavier is a full size machine

I have the Janome Jem as well. I love this lightweight machine for taking to quilting days. Find no difference when finishing a project on my Janome MC6500.

Quote Originally Posted by toniraemoore
    I am looking for a superlight sewing machine to tote around to my quilt classes and bees and relatives and vacations. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I absolutely LOVE my Janome Jem 720 - There is a 760 -which has more stitches. Mine came with a little table, 1/4" foot and a walking foot. It has needle up /down button and a speed slider control button. You can also get a neat little trolley case for it. This machine, in my mind is great - a good little workhorse, and I would recommend it and several friends have been out and bought one - having had a sample run on mine !!

I have an elcheapo I bought a Big Lots. Works fine for piecing.

I have a basic mechanical Brother, very cheap, and it does everything, including FMQ. I also have a Featherweight which is so cute and has such a nice stitch.

I love my Janome Jem Platinum 720. It weighs 12 pounds and can be carried quite easily with the built in handle. It can do more than straight or zigzag stitches, has a needle up/down position,start/stop button, reverse button. Best of all, I don't have to use a foot pedal (helps prevent back problems since your foot isn't stretched away from your body).

Featherweight for sure, just got one from EBay, great price, after setting my limit and loosing several, got one within my price range, all the bells and whistles for $259 (includes shipping) so happy!

Has anyone have an Elna Grasshopper? They are real lightweight but the case is heavy as lead. Boy do they run quiet and smooth!

Has anyone tried the Elna Lotus or Stella. They are from the 70's and everything is contained in one neat package. They are going for higher and higher prices on Ebay. Not quite as heavy as a Featherweight and some have a zig-zag feature. { I also have several featherweights (221 and a 222).} The Lotus is cute, but more modern. lol

I have a cheap brother, love it, sews great

I love the janome jem also, however, depending on your budget I think maybe the vintage 301 Singer might be a person's best buy! I am buying two of them this week :)

Way to go! Would love to see the pictures

Love the looks of vintage machines:)

I love my Janome Gem. it is a wonderful quilt, almost better than me who tries to run it.

Yes, I have a couple of different models of the Lotus Elna, plus a Grasshopper. I love the fact that they are self-contained, and the old Elnas are great machines. However, they are rarer than some of the other compacts so it can be tougher to find a good deal on a Lotus in decent condition.

I also have an older Riccar that I got for $30 because Goodwill listed it as having no cord. I must admit, it took me a while to figure out that the cord is built in and retracts into the case, lol. I love the fact that the way this machine is designed, there is nothing to lose!

There are quite a few Featherweights on ebay right now, and some are going for pretty reasonable prices compared to last year.

There are several older models that would work well for this type of situation. and they tend to be far more robust than their newer cousins. However, much is going to some down to personal preference. I tend to prefer the styling of the older machines.

Blog Entries
    I have a Featherweight and a Singer 301 those are easy to travel. I also have two identical Janome Gems. I bought one and my DD thought if one made me so happy then I'd love another one. LOL I would check the Kenmore machines. The portables are really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    I have a Brother CSI6000 - light, sews well, has a table and is not expensive,
    Me too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3