Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Compact Portable Sewing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    Janome Jem
    Amen. Had mine for three years.

I have the same exact cabinet Tomilu! It is very old and was handed down from my stepdad's wife's family. Don't really know how old it is but it houses my mom's old Singer sewing machine. I love it but now that I see yours, I know that I need to refinish it so it will be shiny like yours! Beautiful!

I have a Janome Gem foand love it.

I'd recommend a featherweight if all you need is a straight stitch. It's fun and light. The brother HS2000 with needle up/down and 70 stitches that I bought for my kids is also super light and only $200 or so. The Janomes mentioned above are great machines, but more expensive. That 3160 is a great main machine. The last time I looked at it, it was $630. I had bought a Sew Mini for my kids, but on mine (maybe it was a lemon-other folks like theirs) the stitch quality was awful and it was so loud that I didn't think it was safe for my kids' hearing. It was also so light as to scooch around. Sears recently had the Kenmore Mini Ultra for sale for $50! I haven't tried it out, but I was highly recommended.

Janome Sew Mini. It weighs about 5 lbs. and is less than $100.

The Brother SQ-9000 (from Wal*Mart) weighs 10 pounds. I bought it to take on vacation and to classes. I looked at the Janome Gem but it weighed 12 lbs. My back is really bad so I opted for the Brother. I'm still playing around with it.

Tell me why everyone here is gaga about featherweights.

Featherweight is my choice - but then, I am biased, very biased. I have two of them :-)

Featherweight or 301 would be my choice.

I bought myself a Babylock Sofia2 a few months ago for just that purpose. It came with a wheeled tote, making it even more portable. It also has an embroidery arm, though it is restricted to 4" x 4" designs. I've never used the embroidery, except when I took the new owner classes. It is perfect for taking to class and it sews like a dream.
    Carol in FL

Singer Featherweight is what I'd try to find. They are light and sew a wonderful straight seam. Perfect for piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by gramquilter2
    Singer Featherweight is what I'd try to find. They are light and sew a wonderful straight seam. Perfect for piecing.
    And they are cute too!! :lol:

i love m

i love my baby brother #cs8150. under $200 best machine ever sews nice i do free motion quilting with it

I'm another Janome Jem lover! Tried the Gold, didn't care much for it (limited stitches, including few stitch lengths as it is manual rather than computerized). Now I have the Platinum and couldn't be more thrilled - great stitches, excellent choice of stitches, computerized, etc., and only 12 lbs.!

I have a question for all of you who have small machines that you take to classes:

I have always heard that you should use the same machine to stitch all of the blocks for a quilt. Do you change to your larger machine to complete the work started in a class or do you feel it is necessary to continue to use the travel machine to finish?

It would be great to keep a small machine for classes, but this question has bothered me so I have always taken my regular machine to classes.

Blog Entries
    I used a Janome Gem like many others. I love it.

I have a Brother 2600 that is very easy to take around and sews well,too

Blog Entries
    Vintage Singer Featherweight. I always carry one to class. Last night I carpooled with a neighbor, and had put my FW into a cloth case with a shoulder strap. She put that over her shoulder, picked up her (much larger) vintage Kenmore, and then asked me where my sewing machine was!
    Stephanie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    I have a question for all of you who have small machines that you take to classes:

I have always heard that you should use the same machine to stitch all of the blocks for a quilt. Do you change to your larger machine to complete the work started in a class or do you feel it is necessary to continue to use the travel machine to finish?

It would be great to keep a small machine for classes, but this question has bothered me so I have always taken my regular machine to classes.
    I find that it is more important to use the same foot rather than the same machine.

I love my Featherweight.

feather weight!!! Really small and lightweight!!!

And did I mention they are so cute! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zkosh

I have gone back and forth between my brother xl-3500 and babylock espire before with no problem, but both machines are made by brother so i don't know if that makes a difference

Baby Lock Grace, weighs 17 lbs. I love it for travel. and class

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast