Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-sit-cut-fabric-t189288.html)

bearisgray 05-17-2012 05:49 PM

I cut small pieces all the time on a coffee table. Technically, on a mat that's on the table - but I think most everyone assumed that!

I've also used a flat TV tray for a cutting table. That worked out well, too - for small pieces.

Maybe cut the long strips standing up - and then cut the long strips into the smaller segments sitting down?

PS Because our couches are kind of low - I sit on a pillow so it's easier to get up.

PPS I think it's important to get up and down fairly often -

grandma nurse 05-17-2012 06:28 PM

I always cut sitting down. I use an office chair with wheels and move around between my cutting table, sewing machine and pressing board. If I had to stand to cut I would be unable to quilt. I have spinal stenosis and I spend my time always looking for someplace to sit. :)

Silver Needle 05-17-2012 06:33 PM

We have a taller cutting table and I use a saddle stool to sit and cut after I have stood to cut the larger piece into strips of the right size. I also cannot stand for long periods of time.

Cindy2201 05-17-2012 06:35 PM

I always sit on my couch and use the coffee table to cut things. To me it's much easier than trying to stand for hours!

irishrose 05-17-2012 06:39 PM

I use a bar stool for cutting for any length of time like trimming HSTs. Otherwise, I cut standing, but don't do the whole quilt at once.

Quiltaddict 05-17-2012 09:14 PM

I sit at my dining room table and cut small things, but for cut width of fabric I need to stand.

Jim 05-17-2012 09:29 PM

I thought everyone sat and cut...I only stand for large cuttings of many layers of fabric

GrannieAnnie 05-17-2012 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by SueJ (Post 5224678)
I managed to stand & cut 6" squares today but my back & feet are in agony. I only stood for 3 hrs tops. I have a low coffee table in my living room & I thought maybe I could sit & cut. Opinions & Thoughts please?
Sue

I'm in a wheelchair and sitting and cutting are my only choice. My back does tire------but that's more from a decades old injury. I use the dining room table. A coffee table would put me in my grave.

GrannieAnnie 05-17-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5224757)
I cut small pieces all the time on a coffee table. Technically, on a mat that's on the table - but I think most everyone assumed that!

I've also used a flat TV tray for a cutting table. That worked out well, too - for small pieces.

Maybe cut the long strips standing up - and then cut the long strips into the smaller segments sitting down?

PS Because our couches are kind of low - I sit on a pillow so it's easier to get up.

PPS I think it's important to get up and down fairly often -

a flat TV tray with a bread board on top with several layers of white tablecloth on top of that is my ironing board. Very easy to put exactly where I want it.

jlm5419 05-17-2012 10:26 PM

I cut while sitting all the time, in fact, I do most of my cutting while sitting. My sewing table is actually an 8 ft. folding table from an office supply and it is just about the right height for me. So, yes, you should be able to make it work.