Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-sit-cut-fabric-t189288.html)

SueJ 05-18-2012 04:21 AM

I am so glad that I asked! I had been told that you had to stand while cutting. Thank you so much for your responses!!

Sue

cjr 05-18-2012 04:30 AM

I too have standing leg problems. I have taught myself to cut sitting down for most projects. Even harder was learning to press-iron sitting down. Makes a big difference in how I feel.

cjr 05-18-2012 04:31 AM

I too have standing leg problems. I have taught myself to cut sitting down for most projects. Even harder was learning to press-iron sitting down. Makes a big difference in how I feel. standing gives you more pressure.

Debbie C 05-18-2012 06:03 AM

I have a frosted glass topped (3/8" thick glass) expandable dining table that I put up on BED RISERS. It's now just the right height to comfortably cut with my mat and rotary cutters. My back strain is eliminated because I'm not bending over. I can also open this table from 4' to 8' to spread out my quilts for basting. Just one of those lucky yard sale find

sewmary 05-18-2012 06:11 AM

With too many problems to mention (!) I do this: I have the banquet type table on risers. That allows me to cut (with a rotary cutter I finally found that does not kill my wrist!) for a time standing up. I have a good quality high chair with a back that I use to cut smaller pieces. I also quilt on this table and use the high chair. I find I can control the quilt better and have less back strain this way. Plus the table is long so quilt is supported.

Even with my spinal stenosis and RA i find it is beneficial to stand up and walk around at least every hour.

Gladygirl 05-18-2012 06:27 AM

I have my ironing board set at a comfortable sitting level and use it for cutting-pressing-ironing clothes and since it is right beside my sewing machine all I have to do is swivel my chair around to use it. Very handy except that I tend to sit for long periods of time. Walmart carries a larger ironing board now which makes a good cutting table.

redtweety 05-18-2012 07:41 AM

I use one of those thick kitchen mats to stand on, cuts the leg and feet strain. Plus taking breaks, dont just stand there stiff legged. I feel I get better cuts standing.

justflyingin 05-18-2012 08:48 AM

I would definitely try it! I've done it a bit though I find that standing gives me a better cut.

carla m 05-18-2012 08:48 AM

when i cut squares the same size i cut the long strips then i sit in the chair with a wooden tv tray with a cutiing mat that fits inside the tray and cut my indvidual sqaures. i cant cut everything that way but it sure helps i have arthritus in my back and it really hurts to stand for long periods for anything. i used to do alot of pressing small pieces that way too but i bought a larger ironing board and it doest let down far enough i think im going to have to replace it. i just cant stand and press for long periods of time either. ive been pressing a few then sewing more then pressing etc.
its really sad cause its a nice ironing board and its a nice size. but i didnt realize til it was too late to return, so ill just have to get another one but ill make do for now. but thats how i sit and cut and used to sit and iron as well.
carla

QUILTNMO 05-18-2012 08:59 AM

i have sta at my quilting table and cut before you have to do whatever works and is comfortable for you